Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upstream sync issues again

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

upstream sync issues again

I have again started to be affected by upsteam sync issues over the past 3 or 4 days after weeks of excellent stability. It seems to manifest itself as syncing the upstream at around 570ish. I can resync and it comes back to 888, which I think is normal for interleaved upstream... this lasts less than a day usually, and them back to the 550s again. I also think the dlm has banded me again, even though ladt time I was meant to be on a fixed snr. The snr is now at 9db but only syncing in the mid 6000s, with an attn of 45db.  Line is perfectly quiet on a quiet line test. Current stats are
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 2:39:16
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 531 / 6,554
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 27.87 / 250.30
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.7 / 45.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.6 / 7.8
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 18 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 48,181 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 46 / 2,297
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 11
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 55
can anyone from digicare shed any light on this, before I open a ticket....
12 REPLIES 12
thesawdust
Grafter

Re: upstream sync issues again

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:  24.7 / 45.0
for that kinda line, you'll be lucky to hit 7-8mb.My ADSL2 Line Attenuation use to be 42.5 dB down and i could get 7.2mb on a 9dB SNR
Get the upload cap lifted?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It's certainly going to be worth trying another microfilter and connecting to your test socket if you already haven't.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

I will give it a try.. can you tell if the line is banded?Huh
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your line is not banded.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well it seems quite happy with an upstream if 546, but if I reset, it goes back to 888, but is unstable. This is the same with or without test socket... anyone any ideas as to what may be going on... as I said, phone line is completely quiet.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Seems like a line fault to me.
I'd raise a fault if I was you.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I think we'd be best to go the fault route tbh, - http://faults.plus.net
Let me know how you get on with it.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Engineer came on Thursday.  I was not in, but had left a message for him, that my wife passed on.  not sure what he did, but he did replace the VDSL faceplate a previous engineer had put on, with a dangly filter!!!  never had this happen before. he then went off to the cab according to my wife, and was not seen again. Notes say he felt everything OK.  When I got back, router could still not hold higher upstream syncs above 600kbps. We went away for the w/end, and got back today.  Switched everything back on, router synced up at around 6500/650ish.  Saw it was constantly resyncing, checked line, and horribly noisy. Tried ringing the line, and ringing out to try and clear a dodgy connection, to no avail. Current syncs are 1319/419, margin up at 35dB, but attn dropped from 44.5 to 40.5
Tried ringing in, so the CSC can hear the noise, but told at least a 30min wait....
Will have to wait till monday, and see what happens.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

OK...  Well I am back in the test socket with a filter of my own. Line noise sounds like a scene from a nightmare in elm street, with knifes being scraped down metal!!!!!  It is hoever much better than using the BT guys filter, and the standard lower faceplate on. Tried the phone direct into test socket with no router at all and no filter, still the noise as above was there. With the other BT filter it was an awful hissing noise. Put the VDSL plate back on, and checked the line, a little better but still the horror movie noise.
Line stats back up to a more normal level, attenuation back to 44.5, and margin of 9dB, so now useable....
Need another engineer, sounds alot like a dodgy joint somewhere.  <rant>Why cant BTOR just accede to the fact that there is a fault on a line, and instead of a quick fix actually spend more time tracing the cause of an issue and finally fixing it. My line is always like this, after heavy rain, at this time of year.  It will obviously be a money issue, but I am sure they would save money in the long run, by not attending multiple call outs for the same issues at the same address.  <rant over>  Smiley
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Even odder....  Line still noisy, but error stats as below, after 40mins of sustained sync.
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 10 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 123 / 1,222
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
These seen fine??  I am confused.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well I am a little annoyed. Had absolutely no response from the csc, even though an agent was supposed to be doing a line check monday as we discussed on the phone saturday afternoon. The line is now predictably silent, and sync has held for over a day at 400/6422, but the error counts seem quite alarming
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 34,738 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 391 / 141,573,246
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2,230 / 2,183,849
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 690 / 1,667,437
Can any of the team answer any of my questions, regards the testing I have done detailed in the previous posts.... I am in no doubt there is still an hr fault on the line, but why its gone completely silent I have no idea. There was no rain when it was noisy, and weather is about the same.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Finally bit the bullet and waited and waited on the phone for csc. Needed to make sure the csc could hear the noise as its started up again. Line test predictably no fault found. It has now gone back to faults, but why do I have to wait 3 days for a response? Surely we just need to organise a bt engineer.. also ticket does not state the issue has been passed back to faults. Can a member of the dct please please make sure this is addressed properly, and escalated correctly.