cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upnp connections

puka1

upnp connections

Hello,
I am new to 'it' installation issues and greatly in need of some help and advice.
I am trying to connect my 'IP CCTV System' to the internet via my router.
I have very good wireless connection & connected to the router via an Ethernet Cable.
My problem is when I try to connect; a UPnP failed/Port Forwarding Instruction appears.
I cannot seem to get past this point. I have contacted my provider PlusNet and they directed me to the forums which I am still struggling with.
Would be grateful for any ideas.
Many Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: upnp connections

Do you have the 'IP CCTV System' on a static IP address?
If so that may be the problem. UPnP and port forward works better in these routers with the device on a dynamic (DHCP) IP address.
If you know the ports used by the cctv system it may be better to use port forwarding (called "game and application sharing" in the Technicolor router).
puka1

Thanks alot npr,
I have done as you suggested and established that the cctv local network setting is on (DHCP) and not static IP address.
I have gone to the Gaming application sharing and once again my knowledge is limited and struggling to know how to open/access a new port.
Does this make sense.
Any ideas most welcome.
npr
Pro

You may need to reboot the cctv system for it to pick up the DHCP IP addresses. If you're lucky upnp may then do the port forwarding for you.
IF not then you'll need to do the port forward manually.
In this case, to be able to help, we need to know a little more about your system.
Do the cameras connect directely to the router?
How many cameras and which port does each one use?
Make and model may help.
Or do the cameras connect to a network recorder?
Which ports does the recorder (dvr) use?
Make and model may help.
puka1

I have rebooted the system with no joy and tried the port forward manually again no joy.
The system I have is a Genie EZPZ IP KIT
Model No: EPZIPNVR3
This is a 4 Camera System connected via a DVR, and as yet not connected to the internet.
Sad
Thanks once again.
npr
Pro

From the manual for the Genie EZPZ IP KIT the following ports need to be forwarded:
For video streaming port 5445
For audio  port 5446
For web-viewer port 80.
Note
These are the default ports and can be changed in the dvr's setup.
IMO it may be better to change the web port to 8080, to avoid any possible conflict in the router.

Manual: http://geniecctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/EZPZ-IP-Kit-User-Manual.pdf
The attached screen capture shows the port forward rule you need to create. You then need to assign the rule to the dvr. -- ensure you tick always use the same ip address.
The following link shows how to port forward with port translation -- ignore the port translation bit and it may be of some help.
http://npr.me.uk/pf/
puka1

Hello again,
Many thanks for your time and effort, you have been of great help.
I have now managed to connect my cctv system to the internet.
npr
Pro

Glad it working.  Grin