Did you mean: 

upload speed feels lacking

alanalpha
Dabbler

upload speed feels lacking

i moved to plusnet some years ago after BE got taken over by sky

with BE i had an upload speed of 1.3mb

here i am down to 0.3mb upload

i am looking into uploading some tutorials for my communities 3rd party game websites (how to use and some in game tips on how to play etc)

now last month i uploaded a 100mb file it took 1 and a half hours to do this and that was pure audio and basicly killed my internet even teamspeak (less than 20kb/s upload needed) was dropping connection every 30 seconds at best

my question is can i get a better upload speed on my regular broadband unlimited or do i *have* to get fibre to upload within a reasonable time frame without killing everything else?

8 REPLIES 8
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: upload speed feels lacking

You better off with fibre if you can get some decent speeds on your line. On adsl I was getting 1.5mb top but it wasn't all time was still a bit slow.
Not much can be done on adsl because it will be upto 1mb
Excellent!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

alanalpha wrote:

my question is can i get a better upload speed on my regular broadband unlimited or do i *have* to get fibre to upload within a reasonable time frame without killing everything else?

Well that depends on what you are getting at the moment.  Are you on ADSL2 (21CN) and uncapped or on BT's antiquated 20CN network?  The former can go up to 1.2mbps on a good line.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alanalpha
Dabbler

ok screenshots are in order per the links and Qs

plusnet forums.png

plusnet forums1.pngplusnet forums2.pngplusnet forums3.png

PN profile Current line speed 12.3mb

for the kitz i didnt SS the fttc numbers they are here

FTTC is available in your area.
  Speed Max Min
  DownStream 80000 61500
  UpStream 20000 19000

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Youll have full speeds if you go onto the fibre packages.
Line max is upto 80 down and 20 up.
80/20 or 40/10
I think you're better off on the fibre if you can afford it. Adsl is very slow on uploads.
Excellent!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Plusnet should uncap the upstream speed, to give about 900kb - 1Mb upload, but yes, FTTC would still be much better.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Gandalf,

What is the correct process for this user to request the US to be uncapped?

Do you have any insight as to why the US is capped? I thought uncapped US is now the default?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear that.

I've placed a order to correct this which should complete tomorrow.

Let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
alanalpha
Dabbler

hi matthew o/

my router just reconnected to the internet (yes i know im up at this time of day)

and its new stats are in the sreenshot below (i also did a speedtest.net)

Screenshot_1.png

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6931281271

looks like my ip address has gone into the 91. range

not quite the 1.3mb upstream i have had on this line b4 but does feel better

is this the new maximum for my line?

Thanks