Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unwanted intrusive line tests

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

unwanted intrusive line tests

I have just had my service interrupted by stupid plusnet doing intrusive line testing!!

My wife was in the middle of a transatlantic phone call and I was in the middle of internet banking.

Who do Pnet think they are!! Its hard enough to get a decent service without some [Removed] cutting us off!!

Apart from anything else I have now lost loads of speed because this has caused a nighttime resync when the snr is lower.

After the loss of service they then had the crazy idea of phoning to ask if my service was ok, as you can imagine the air around the phone was turned blue............crazy people and dont try making excuses!!

Yes there was a fault ticket raised several days ago due to someone interfering with the DLM who you claim was BT, as I noted upon said ticket I would monitor the situation now it has reportedly been restored, the last thing I ever imagined is some [Removed] would cut me off!!

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Insult to Plusnet staff removed as per Forum rules.

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
7 REPLIES 7
geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: unwanted intrusive line tests

To be fair to Plusnet if you raise a fault ticket to them they WILL run a line check, it only causes intureption for a few minutes maximum but if it was done it was because it needed to be done to investigate the fault you reported.

James 

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro

Ok Mr Moderator, your staff behaved in an unprofessional, unthinking and unreasonable way and deserved everything they got!

As for the gentleman who thinks its ok to do this the ticket was on the point of closure as the fault had been cleared, if you like random interruptions to your service for no reason from your ISP I think you will find yourself in the minority!!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

With all due respect, a fault ticket was raised on 10/10/16. This was picked up on 11/10/16 and the line was tested to investigate the reported fault, at the very least to double check everything was as it should be Huh

The fault ticket was not on the point of closure. Automated testing had failed and we needed to test the line to confirm the next steps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro

And who raised this fault ticket then ?? because I did not!!

I think you need to get your left hands talking to your right hands big time and stop messing customers around because your incapable of talking to each other!!

No respect from me, you lot or BT as you claim messed up the DLM settings in the first place causing many outages on my line and after me having to yet again chase your tails and get it fixed you then interrupt my service and downgrade the speed again and expect respect for that, noooooooooo you need to join the real world mate!!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

The fault was raised through the account via the member centre.

Dynamic Line Management is not something a person would go and alter for no reason. Generally it's automated and changes are Dynamically made by the equipment at the exchange.

Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is an automatic system that's designed to give you the best broadband performance for your line. It works by testing and adjusting your broadband circuit's profile on the network for a short time when you first connect a router after your line has gone live.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro

Yawn.....here is the chat transcript that resolved my problem, nothing to do with any fault ticket!!

Now perhaps you can admit a mistake was made and stop attempting to blame me!!

[CSA Removed]:

Good morning, I'm [CSA Removed]. How can I help?

roger holden: hello [CSA Removed], may I talk to [CSA Removed] in the faults team please ?
[CSA Removed]:

OK, at the moment [CSA Removed] is currently talking to two other customers, I've just been over to speak with him. Apologies on that. Is there any way that I can help?

roger holden: well i need to get in contact with him because he set my DLM up a month or so ago and fixed the line, unfortunatly on the 6th Oct those settings were disturbed by someone so I need him to restore them

[CSA Removed]:

OK, I can check the DLM settings of the line and make adjustments, its no issue.

roger holden: well ok, let me tell you what was done, the most important thing was to stop it taking action on very high error rates and [CSA Removed]was able to do this but because i lost the transcript i dont recall the figures exactly, do you know how to do that ?

[CSA Removed]:

I do indeed, lets have a look into your account.

roger holden: excellent it was to do with setting MTBE & MTBR to crazy values Smiley
roger holden: ok i am hitchhiker42
[CSA Removed]:

As you've already provided your username, can I take the 1st & 3rd characters of your password please?

roger holden: xx
[CSA Removed]:

Thanks

roger holden: just to add a few other details the target snr was locked at 6db and interleaving was on
roger holden: this is a very long line subgect to severe REIN hence the special DLM settings
[CSA Removed]:

OK, I am just getting started now.

roger holden: unfortunatly from 6th oct onwards it started playing, removing interleaving and kiking the tsnr
roger holden: okies sorry just filling in the info Smiley
[CSA Removed]:

OK, just finishing up the changes now, looks like the SNR target has shifted but the error values look OK, only marginal amounts of errors.

[CSA Removed]:

OK, thats all set - the changes should all be applied within the next 4 hours.

roger holden: okies what do you think the tsnr is now ?
roger holden: i think i went down then up
roger holden: ahhh okies sorry i thought it just changed, must have been the dlm by itself again lols
[CSA Removed]:

I ran a quick test before I made changes - it was set for a target of 9 and was 1.1 on the test.

roger holden: yeah i thought so its really been messing me around the last few days
[CSA Removed]:

Apologies on that.

roger holden: so after your changes error interventions will be dissabled ?
[CSA Removed]:

Thats right, yes.

roger holden: ok and interleaving is on (i need FEC) ?
[CSA Removed]:

I have requested interleaving be set to always on, not just 'auto' when needed. That should do more of the forward error correction in any case.

roger holden: yup brillient thank you so much hopefully the line will go back to its happy self Smiley
roger holden: the thing i dont understand is i thought there was a not on the account not to disturb the DLM, so how did this happen ?
[CSA Removed]:

BT can adjust it at any time, we can request the DLM be fixed and left along but if there are line issues they are sometimes manually changed in bulk for connections on a phone exchange that might be showing problems.

roger holden: ahhh okies i guess i didnt realise that well thank you for putting it right again for me Smiley
roger holden: they replaced my drop cable a while ago to try improve the REIN so i guess they may have done it after that
roger holden: this line just has a high error rate lols, i am used to it and expect it but anybody else looking at it probably thinks its faulty!
[CSA Removed]:

That would be a likely time to make changes like that, in any case we should be able to keep it under control from there.

roger holden: I remember the BT guy being astonished he had no mobile signal, city kid!!
roger holden: well thank you very much again Smiley
info: The chat transcript will be sent to: [-removed-] at the end of your chat.
[CSA Removed]:

Its no trouble, take care and we will take it from there.

[CSA Removed]:

It's been great chatting to you today. I really appreciate your time and would love to hear any feedback that you might have. Please close the chat to answer a few questions about the experience you have had with me today.

Don't forget to subscribe to <a href="www.youtube.com/user/plusnethelp” target=" _blank="">Plusnet Help on YouTube for further help and support.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

roger holden: yup thanks i will watch it the next few days

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) CSA name removed as per Forum rules and also removed personal email address as this is a public forum

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you considered trying an ADSL modem with built-in DLM override settings ?

Some Broadcom chipset modems also have user controlled settings for rejecting different types of line noise.

Buck2