Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unusually slow today

FIXED
grazuncle
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

unusually slow today

I have had good results from being with Plusnet.. router was being restarted manty times per month with TalkTalk.

Today though YT buffering a lot.. restarted router. router claims 65.8Mbp downstream sync and 20 upload. I tried the BT test from the router

and got this just now..BT test.jpg

Don't know what can be done.. wait a bit and see if it improves?

It is 'usable' thankfully as you can see...

5 REPLIES 5
grazuncle
Dabbler

Re: unusually slow today

Some tech results I got from the router

DSL uptime:0 Days 0 Hrs 25 Mins
Data rate:20 Mbps / 68.973 Mbps
Maximum data rate:28.630 Mbps / 83.053 Mbps
Noise margin:12.1 / 6.3
Line attenuation:5.0 / 14.6
Signal attenuation:5.0 / 14.7

doesn't mean much to me though..  Data rate would be nice if I actually got it.. LOL
grazuncle
Dabbler

Fix

after clutching at straws for a bit I decided to switch off my BT 1Gb powerline ethernet adapter/device to my room and after 30 seconds waiting..

instantly got 60mbps download and 18mbps upload..

not complaining but never noticed this before as a potential problem... I always turn off the powerline adapter overnight. Something for me to remember to try in future. Phew!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Some Ethernet over Power adaptors do play havoc with VDSL performance, especially the budget ones.  Devolo adapters have interference cancelation settings.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

grazuncle
Dabbler

Thanks for posting this..

I have had the powerline adapter on the old TalkTalk router and experimented with WiFi only and still had to reboot their router many times.

This Plusnet router is a gem in comparison.. I had the router on consistently for 4 months without any reboot and the last on for 19 days till I tried a reboot to up the speed with not discernible difference. Turning off the powerline adapter 'seems' to have fixed the speeds again but It is only a 'good guess' or quite some coincidence!

Still it may help someone else here. No problems at all today.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

There are two somewhat different considerations...

1. Line sync speed - which is not overly affected by the presence of power line adapters
  2. Error free data transfer speed - which can be impacted by interference from power line adapters

Local interference might not impact the line speed, but might give rise to high error retransmission rates, thereby having a marked impact on data throughput rates.

Which router are you using?  If the Plusnet Hub One, that is a BTHH5a for which there is a custom version of router stats - see below.  It would be interesting to run that and examine the SNRM plot with and without your power line adapters operating.

Sight of the router stats would be informative (with and without the adapters being powered up).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.