Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unsure speed results

MrT
Grafter

Re: unsure speed results

Quote from: AJJ
@MrT - if you are syncing at 3.8 what IP profile are you getting? 3.0 or 3.5mb? If I could get that sort of speed it would be fantastic!

My current IP profile is 3000 (which is correct for sync speeds between 3424 and 3968)
An IP profile of 3500 needs a sync speed between 4000 and 4512. I once synced at 3936 for 12 days but getting above 4000 and staying there seems unlikely.
Given a high level of stability and download speeds just below 2.8Mbps, I'm more than happy with my broadband the way it is.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: AJJ
I seem to remember reading that once you convert to ADSL2+ going back is a major problem?
also - don't know if this helps but interleaving has been forced to "on" on my line (apparently it is set to auto on the exchange?)

Once on 21CN going back to 20CN (maxDSL) would cause problems. However the service could be set to ADSL1 which provides the same thing, and that might be the best option for you. Alternatively ADSL2 (without the +) might work better (fewer connection drops). In fact I'm surprised the router didn't choose that itself. ADSL2 uses the ADSL2+ protocol but excludes the 1.1-2.2MHz frequency range.
The bit loading plots available from RouterStats will hopefully give some indication of how the connection is performing and suggest the way forward.
Having interleaving set to 'auto' is fine, should reduce uncorrected transmission errors which helps reduce retransmissions (these would slow down data transfer).
David
Epyon
Grafter

Yup
force G.DMT and you should be sorted.
AJJ
Grafter

well the connection is still up - 2 days solid now ? maybe its weather related?
What should I be looking for on the bit loading plots?
So the decision now is, do I drop the connection and force G.DMT or stick with what I've got?

AJJ
Grafter

ok so I was in the router checking my stats and it magically rebooted itselfso pretty sure its the router thats causing the line drops.
Got an old Netgear DG834G V3 (running DG team firmware from a friend) and stats are very different.....
It's currently set to force ADSL 2+ - but now I have more options about what I can set.Also it reports a lower line attenuat

System Up Time 00:12:29

Port       Status       TxPkts       RxPkts       Collisions       Tx B/s       Rx B/s       Up Time          
      WAN       PPPoA       1978       2318       0       1941       7674       00:05:36          
      LAN       10M/100M       819       0       0       272       0       00:12:24          
      WLAN       11M/54M       6254       5375       0       6058       1502       00:12:15          

ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream    
      Connection Speed       252 kbps       448 kbps  
      Line Attenuation       54 db       17 db  
      Noise Margin       11 db       17 db        

but as you can see - the connection speed is dire - is this because of the router swap (it was only 3 or 4 power cycles before I got the router sited and setup - surely the DLM cant be that touchy?)
Do I take the hit and force GDMT now and wait 3 days to see if DLM picks it backup for me or leaveit set as ADSL2+ and see what happens? - now we have the ultimode option as well to let the router decide what to do - is this a good idea?
Thanks
Epyon
Grafter

Force GDMT
as ADSL2 doesnt pick up signals till around 4-5mbps and ADSL2+ doesnt till around 12mbps.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Go back to the old router and check the stats
When you changed routers did you change anything else - filters or cable for example
if the speeds are the same you have been banded
AJJ
Grafter

Ok,
So I leave the new router on overnight and still getting a 256k connection. Move back to the tg585 and it connects at 2.8mb.
Now for the interesting bit, the speed is the same on both 250k
So it looks like the th585 isn't showing a true picture if what is going off! I've tried the dg834 on gdmt and adsl2  and it doesn't make a lot of difference, well adsl2 is quicker by about 100k (great)
So is the dg834 duff (it used to work ok) or is something strange happening on my line?
I've just had a brand new face plate fitted with a filter in built so I'm sure it's not that.
Any ideas on how to get the speed back up?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I suspect that the Netgear is duff and has now landed you with an awful IP profile.
If you leave the 585 connected this should automatically increase in 24 hours if the system works properly and 3 days if it doesn't
AJJ
Grafter

no joy as of yet - speed still poor, but will see what its like when I get back tonight.
As a side note - does anyone know how to configure the TG585 to connect on GDMT? Also how to turn off uPNP and keep it off... The router seems to be loading the deafult settings each time it reboots and reading on the forums turning off uPNP might help?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Forcing ADSL1 has to be done using the Command Line Interface via telnet. See the Community Library article Forcing ADSL Modulation on Thomson 585v7. Don't forget to saveall after changing settings.
Though the article is written for the 585v7 the procedure should be the same on the v8.
For uPNP is the router managed by easy start? Just wondering if the change is setting hasn't been picked up by the ACS before the router is restarted. (Note - when changing settings it is best to do one at a time and wait to see if connection stability improves before changing something else.)
David
AJJ
Grafter

thanks spraxyt.
I've turned off the easy start stuff (tr69) so hopefully this wont happen again with the uPNP.
do you think I should wait for the speed to return to normal before forcing the GDMT connection type?
thanks
spraxyt
Resting Legend

My suggestion is to wait. Would really like to see the bit loading plots to try to understand how ADSL2+ makes use of the available frequencies before you change things.
David
AJJ
Grafter

nearly been up for 2 days - but still at shocking speed.
is this what you wanted to see about bitloading?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Yes, that's the bit loading plot of main interest. The radio button is set to show only tones 0-255 (rather than the ADSL2+ range of 0-512) but I doubt there are any contributions from tones in the extended range. In fact despite what the router says I think it will be using ADSL2 (or perhaps even ADSL1). Selecting range 0-512 would show if any tones in the 256-512 band do contribute.
The plot looks normal to me, though hasn't been running long enough to show bit-swapping. Bit swapping is used by the modem to cope with transient noise on the line; tones where bit swapping has occurred are marked bright green. The bitswaps/tone and bitswaps/time plots give different views of bitswap activity.
Does the Routerstats plot of Downstream Noise Margin show large variations with time?
Does the BT Performance tester still show your IP Profile is 135kbps? And Current line speed in the Member Centre 250kbps?
David