cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unstable adsl connection

keithroe

unstable adsl connection

my adsl speeds are really unstable.
im not really sure what the problem is, speeds are so variable for me. in the night i can generally download at like 300-400kbp/sec
ive just done a speed test now and i get
Date Download Speed Upload Speed 
Today 19:21 265 kbps (33.1 KB/s) 87 kbps (10.9 KB/s) Share
Today 19:16 267 kbps (33.4 KB/s) 86 kbps (10.8 KB/s) Share
Today 19:15 268 kbps (33.5 KB/s) 75 kbps (9.4 KB/s) Share
i know contention ratio and high usage at peak times can affect speeds, but this is extremeely low non?
primarily i use the inet just for browsing and online gaming which pings remain low at all times, so ive just got on with the low dl speeds. but im just curious as to what the problem is.
my router says the following about my adsl connection:

Line Mode G.DMT   Line State Show Time
Latency Type Interleave   Line Up Time 00:02:40:13
Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 166

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 3520 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 14.8 dB 18.0 dB
Line Attenuation 23.0 dB 12.5 dB
Output Power 19.8 dBm 12.3 dBm

any help will be much appreciated thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: unstable adsl connection

@keithroe,
2 things:
1) Can you try a BT speed test www.speedtest.bt.com and post the full results.
2) Post the value under member centre -> connection settings -> high speed broadband.
Both will determine what your actual IP profile is.
One thing of note is your DS Noise margin is 14.8 (15) dB. This suggests you have had sync problems in the past and BT have increased your min SNR from 6dB to 15dB. If you have remained in sync at your current sync rate I would raise a ticket and see if PN can get BT to lower the min SNR back to 6dB which will then result in a higher sync rate and thus higher data througput (IP profile).
@karmi,
Could you create a new thread (or a mod split this) due to the length of your post, as its easier to deal with your issue in it's own thread rather than high-jacking someone else's.
karmi
Grafter

deleted and made a new, friendlier thread
James
Grafter

Hi Keith,
BT have assigned you a lower profile, but because you're now syncing at a higher level (3808Kbps), your profile should jump back up again in the next day or so.
I've also made a slight amendment at this end on your profile, which might give you slightly faster speeds in the meantime following a reboot at your end.
akaneria
Grafter

Quote from: James
Hi Keith,
BT have assigned you a lower profile, but because you're now syncing at a higher level (3808Kbps), your profile should jump back up again in the next day or so.
I've also made a slight amendment at this end on your profile, which might give you slightly faster speeds in the meantime following a reboot at your end.

hi james, i am having the same problem, my router is only syncing at 3808kbps it should be arounf 7-8, this has happened before, please can you look into this for me.
thanks
keithroe

thanks for the reply admin
i left it a few days to adjust, but its exactly the same.
during the free hour period i could only managed 90k/sec last night.
just done a speedtest now (today/satiurday):
Today 19:40  260 kbps (32.5 KB/s)  84 kbps (10.5 KB/s) 
Today 19:39 287 kbps (35.9 KB/s) 79 kbps (9.9 KB/s)
Today 19:38 258 kbps (32.3 KB/s) 85 kbps (10.6 KB/s)
[me=keithroe]shrugs[/me]
keithroe

oki so i did a bt speed check, this suggests it is correct right?

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 750 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  3424 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 692 kbps
----------
i cant get above 90kbps dl speeds through the night anymore, and during the day its like 30ish?

another question. on the website it says the hours that dont contribute to your usage is between midnight and 8am. but the usage tool on your account says off peak is between midnight and 4pm. does downloading at 8am to 4pm add to your monthly usage?
thanks

James
Grafter

Hi Keith,
The product you are on is Broadband Plus.  Peak times are 4pm to midnight, with off peak anything outside this.
Your profile speeds should increase after 3 days of sustainably syncing above your profiled level, as you are currently doing.