cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unexplained usage shown up

mccoll2u
Grafter

unexplained usage shown up

Hi just had a quick look at my bill to see how much it was and I clicked broadband usage by mistake only to find I had already used 6.69gb off peak I only use my phone at the moment for the internet and downloading it only has 4gb memory plus I went to bed at 11 and have just woken up I stay alone any ideas why this has happened ?
Im not to worried as it was off peak and im on unlimited just in the future if I was to move. Packages thats all
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: unexplained usage shown up

I'd not worry too much (as I know you're not anyway) but let us know if you see this happen again as we can then advise you how to dig deeper and monitor to see exactly what is incurring the usage on your network.
PS have you tried drilling in to see what type of usage it was? i.e web/gaming etc also looking when the usage was incurred may help you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mccoll2u
Grafter

Well its now upto over 7gb how do you mean drilling in ps using my phone so not got many options at the moment lol
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

You should have options for a usage breakdown and also a usage summary which should show you that information. Just so you know I can see that it's classed as "web"
One option to dig even deeper would be to perhaps install wireshark as from looking at the logs we should be able to see a more detailed view of any further usage: http://www.wireshark.org/
EDIT: rather than wireshark networx would be much more appropriate to analysing network protocols and perhaps helping to identify problems with traffic management rather than usage: http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mccoll2u
Grafter

Just had a look at the breakdown and 7gb web browsing which seems rather high as im using my phone and 1gb for p2p
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

1gb for p2p

if you're using Peer2Peer this is most likely what the usage actually is at the moment so you might want to turn P2P off to see if that stops the unidentified usage from being accrued. Also it would be worth making your wireless network is secure.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Don't forget upload is included and if you have P2P running loads is people may be grabbing files from you.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Vip3r
Grafter

mccoll2u, you say you are using your phone only, so you don't have a PC or any other device connected to your Plusnet Broadband only your smartphone?
What OS (or type of phone) is it, Android, Apple?
Are you still seeing data usage through the day that seems more than what you are using it for?

mccoll2u
Grafter

Hi sorry about the delay was out today I think the p2p might be my sky anytime plus but the 7gb web browsing is unexplained and its a Sony xperia on android I have
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I think the p2p might be my sky anytime plus

That's not usually classed as p2p, the best thing I could recommend at the moment is to give networx a go when you're able to use a PC on your connection.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Vip3r
Grafter

I use SkyGo to download sky content to my PC for viewing later and this shows up as Web browsing (typically 500MB for a 45 minute program), so it could be your "sky anytime plus" if that works in a similar way. Did you ask it to record a few films/programs prior to going to bed?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

sky anytime plus

having never used that I didn't realise this, but I've been made aware that sky anytime plus is very bandwidth intensive so that is most likely to blame for the 7gb used.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team