Did you mean: 

unable / slow connection with Adobe Creative Cloud

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: unable / slow connection with Adobe Creative Cloud

Awesome! Glad that's done the trick Peter, and I'm genuinely sorry again for what you've gone through. Sad

Yup, things do seem to go wrong at the worst possible time, but happy you're back up in the time for the weekend!

The router should automatically assign your Mac a set of DNS servers through what's known as DHCP, but as you've had to manually assign them in your Mac to make things work, that suggests the router's not done its job properly. 

There's a bit more detail here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-dns-server-and-website-settings/ but bobpullen may be able to explain better why the issue particularly affected Creative Cloud over other apps/webpages. 

What you could try next is update the DNS servers to 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50 instead as they're ours, which the router should be providing. If they work, then that 100% means the router's developed a fault. 

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are Google's DNS servers, they make them public and free for anyone to use.

^ Either way, I've sent you a new router now free of charge, which you should receive next week. Once you've got it and set it up, it'll be interesting to see if you can get onto Creative Cloud normally after removing those tweaks you'd done. 

Hope you and your partner manage to get your work done by the deadline. Have a good weekend too! Smiley

Cheers,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

A possible cause (unproven) is linked to in my earlier post here. It's a pretty technical read though and relates to DNS response sizes when using our hub as the DNS forwarder when it's configured to point to the 212... addresses.

If using the 212... addresses directly on the MAC also works, then that's not necessarily 100% proof the router has developed a fault (in fact, I'd say it's unlikely). All it proves is that the router is a contributing factor.

e.g. the thread I referred to above includes further information of an example with almost exactly the same symptoms, where the router behaviour was just one of the things that was contributing (and following investigation, was behaving exactly how it was designed to). 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DP3
Hooked

Hi Gandalf

I have just experienced the exact same problem as Peter with Adobe Creative Cloud – after spending half the night with Adobe virtual help and a further hour this morning with no success pointing to a potential problem with my ISP I looked on the Plusnet Community and found your DNS fix – Amazing can't believe its working !!! thanks

Does this mean I need a new router?

Best Regards

David

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi David,

Sorry for the issues you've had, but glad you've sorted it now! 

I'll defer to @bobpullen whether we should continue to be handing out new routers or if the problem needs some digging. 

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I've seen nothing to suggest a replacement router (of the same model) is going to help.

One thing I'm yet to see anybody try is my proposed Safeguard workaround?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mrcfandango

I too am having the issue with Adobe servers, my router had defaulted the DNS to my router IP.

It works when I manually change DNS to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 or 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50.

Will give the Safeguard workaround a go tonight, but if it doesn't work am I ok the leave the manually inputted IPs in or is that not a permanent fix?

Regards

Carl

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Carl,

Yeah that should be perfectly fine to leave the DNS manually inputted in your devices.

Would recommend ours (212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50) though rather than Google's.

Let us know how it goes. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mrcfandango

Before I try this fix, I was going through my router settings and noticed that Dynamic DNS is not enabled… should it be?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's not enabled by default and you don't need to unless it's something you'd want to use. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mrcfandango

Tried the Safeguard fix and didn't seem to change anything... I guess I just stick to using the manual Plusnet DNS Servers. Thanks

ArcPD
Dabbler

Apologies for the delayed reply. Too much going on. Too nervous to do any further tinkering when we have a working solution. in place.  Will do as requested when the new router arrives. All the best and Thanks again.

ArcPD
Dabbler

Hi Bob .. fyi ...perhaps you overlooked my initial response when you answered my call for help. I did try the Safeguard workaround and it had no effect on the problems we faced. The alternative DNS codes however did work perfectly. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hiya, cheers for the updates! Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ArcPD
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf

New Router has just arrived. Thanks. Have just noticed it has one ethernet port LESS than the old router (new one has 3 ports old one has 4). On the new router can I change the WAN port into an ethernet port in router settings? (we are running 3 macs and one printer on ethernet cables). Or can you suggest another workaround?.... there's always something .. eh...  ;-))

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, there isn't a way to free up the WAN port as a 4th ethernet port I'm afraid so it might be worth looking at using a network switch, one advantage of that would mean further spare ports in case you want to expand your number of connected devices in future. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team