cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turning off power to router

gerryhall
Grafter

turning off power to router

hi how often is it safe to turn of the power to the router without it thinking its a loss in connection and thus reducing profile the reason i ask is because of home decorating and having some electrical work being done i may have to turn it of periodicly Smiley
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: turning off power to router

As long as you log in to the router from your PC browser and tell it to disconnect that way first, then you shouldn't experience any issues.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Also, when you've done that avoid turning it on again for an hour. If you plan ahead and make sure that the disconnections are ideally only once a day and for a protracted period you should be OK as the exchange will realise they are intentional.
The worst is if you just kill the power and/or turn it on again after a short period; then the exchange may see this as a problem and not intentional.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gerryhall
Grafter

ok thanx i will prob turn it off the night before and leave it off until the work has  been done the next day Smiley
jazz
Grafter

Fine to turn it off the night before work is done but be careful about when you turn it back on again.  It is better to turn it back on during a "quiet" part of the internet day and not in an evening when the system is busy and speeds are slower.  You want to pick up on the best connection you can get so as not to adversely affect your profile.  Better to switch on (generally) between 10am and 4pm.  Good luck with all the work!  Smiley