cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to upgrade Netgear DGN2000 firmware on a Mac

sarahr

trying to upgrade Netgear DGN2000 firmware on a Mac

My netgear router has been falling over quite a bit recently - we've now got 2 Macbook Pros, 2 iPhones and an iPad which try to connect regularly.  There seems to be a problem with it assigning IP addresses as additional machines try to add on to the router which then needs a reboot to be able to get any of them on at all.  The Netgear website has upgrade files for this model, but when I download onto the Mac I get a message which says 'Mounting failed' on the file and then I'm not able to do anything with it.
I've done some googling and it looks like there is a known incompatibility issue with these netgear files and Macs.  So would I be able to download the file via windows onto a USB stick and then upload it onto the router via my mac or do I need to try an entirely different approach?  The router is not that old so I think it's still basically operating fine other than this.
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: trying to upgrade Netgear DGN2000 firmware on a Mac

Instead of downloading the file as "DGN2000_V1.1.8.0.img", can you download it as something other than a .img file, eg - <SAVE AS> "DGN2000_V1.1.8.0.abc" - to avoid whatever unhelpful process is trying to perform an auto-mount, and then once downloaded try renaming the file back to "DGN2000_V1.1.8.0.img".
sarahr

Thanks for the answer.  I tried that and although I didn't get the 'Mounting failed' message any more, it still wasn't happy with the file.  In the end I did manage to get the file off a Windows machine and upload it from a USB stick via Firefox.  The router then refused to reboot but when I unplugged it and started it again, all seems to be fine, firmware upgraded done.
Two nights of my life I won't get back again tho  Wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad to hear you got it working.  Smiley
Hopefully next time there is a firmware upgrade it should be easier to do, as I see from the release notes, that (item 3) adds "auto firmware upgrade" - whatever that is !  Shocked
[quote=Netgear website]
DGN2000 Firmware Version 1.1.8.0
New Features & Bug Fixes
  1. Added Live Parental Control.
  2. Added WiFi Auto channel selection on power up
  3. Added auto firmware upgrade
  4. Added QoS
  5. Added support for Smart Wizard 3.1
  6. Fixed various WPS issues
  7. Fixed various DHCP issues
  8. Closed uPnP ports after uses
  9. Added capability to work with legacy devices by turning off WPS