cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to understand if I should change and would get increased speed

bouton

trying to understand if I should change and would get increased speed

I am trying to get my head around all these speed numbers and must admit I am getting a bit confused.
I have been on plusnet for yonks years, upgrading services now and again. We are now on Your Way Opt 2.  The issue is not so much how much we can use, but the speeds at which you tube movies load.  Seems it takes forever for it to buffer than comes in in bits and fits. So I started to look into upgrading again.\
We are using a BT Voyager 210 plugged in to the master socket and a wired LAN. (so wireless is not an issue)
My postcode is ADSL2+ enabled.
In various tests I've run the test.  http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ says my  downloads range from 196-227kbps and uploads from 47-52 kbps.
speedtester.bt gave me confirmed throughput 750K, best effort 208kbps, actual 200-1000,DSL connection 960 downstream, 64 upstream and IP profile 750.
Voyager 210 status attached.
So - does this mean I would or would not benefit from changing to ADSL2?
thanks
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: trying to understand if I should change and would get increased speed

Welcome to the forums bouton.
Looking at those stats a couple of things strike me:
1) There is something very wrong
2) If 1 gets sorted your should get a reasonable benefit from ADSL2+
Have you any extensions running from your master socket and have tried it in the test socket?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As adiewoo says, something is very wrong with those stats. An attenuation of 23db should give you a downstream of near 8128 and an upstream of 448.
Is your router in the master socket of your house? Have you tried the test socket (underneath the bottom half of the master socket faceplate)? Try both of these and post the stats for each one.
Make sure there isn't any extension leads between the router and socket and ensure every phone socket in use has a filter in place.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bouton

Excellent - that was exactly my question. Something seemed fishy but I dind't understand the numbers. Thanks for the reply.
It's a complicated set up, a whole house LAN hardwired via a whole house spider network hub. All phone lines come into the hub and the hub is plugged into the modem router. I may have to get an engineer in to figure out exactly where the problem lies.
Yes the router is in the main socket of the house.
The main plugsays ADSL v1.0 and has two sockets on it - one with a picture of a computer above it, the other with a picture of a phone. I opened it up and there were no other sockets. See photos attached.
But when I followed your advise, and plugged router into the 'test plug' - ie the socket that it was not currently plugged in - with the phone over it, the router could never connect. It kept training and handshaking then ready to connect, then connecting - then back to training... So I plugged it back the way it was - and the got the same thing. Frustrated, sure I had killed it, I gave up an hour later and went to bed.
When I got up this morning - modem/router was working again through the main socket.
Does this mean the line is flakey? The modem is on the fritz? Should I get someone who knows what they are doing onto the case?
Thanks for your patience. At this point I'm just glad to have a working, if slow, connection Smiley

Quote from: Chris
As adiewoo says, something is very wrong with those stats. An attenuation of 23db should give you a downstream of near 8128 and an upstream of 448.
Is your router in the master socket of your house? Have you tried the test socket (underneath the bottom half of the master socket faceplate)? Try both of these and post the stats for each one.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

That looks err interesting Smiley
Did and engineer come and put that in for you when you first had ADSL?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bouton

yep.
the plug on the right is in fact an adapter I had to plug in as it was a phone plug rather than a network plug.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

All phone lines come into the hub
What do you mean by this statement.
There should be one phone line coming in which will go to the router which will then feed the network hub (that is if I understand the system)
The reason why the router didn't work may be that it was plugged into the filtered phone socket
The picture of the opened socket shows something plugged in. That point should be the test socket and you would connect the router to it via a filter.
This is what the test socket should look like
Looking at you picture of the socket with the lower half removed it looks as though there are some wires connected to it. That indicates that there is a telephone point somewhere else in the house. As it is a filtered faceplate that shouldn't have an effect but it might be a bit dodgy. Can you find out where that other socket is and make sure nothing is plugged into it