cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to extend coverage

Tomc

trying to extend coverage

Hi guys and gals
hope someone can help me here just recently joined plusnet  and i have to say that i am not very impressed with the coverage of the wireless router or the number of item it can handle.  That having been said, when we lived in the other house and had sky I connected a TP Link WR450N (cable NTL/Virgin) wireless router to my sky modem via a e-cable hard wired and it worked fine as an extender all the way up to the loft 3 floors up
I therefore got the TP link out  and connectedit via a Homeplug network. Now i know i have internet through the home plug network as i have connected the cable to my computer and everything is okay plus a smart TV. Howevever when i connect the cable to the cable router there is not internet. The router seems to function ok, as you can connect wirelessly and I can access the ip admin page and change settings, but still i cannot connect to the internet via the TP LInk WR450N. Ive also tried the little reset button without any joy.
It worked perfect connected to the sky router without any adjustment. therefore am i to assume that some settings need to be changed with plusnet Shocked
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: trying to extend coverage

which Plusnet router do you have - the TG582n or the 2704n
Tomc

Hi Jim
It's a TG582n n
sjptd
Grafter

Are you trying to use the TP as an alternative to the Plusnet router, or as an extension?
To use it as an alternative you need to put in your Plusnet credentials as on the Plusnet site, and to use it as an extension you need to put it into bridge mode which will be in the TP instructions.
Tomc

Im using the TP as an extension it won't work as the master as it does not have a ADSL socket Ive checked in set up there in no option to set up a client network and use it as a bridge
Just additional info I bought this router for an office that I was renting that had the Internet connection piped through to each of the offices via a large server owned by the landlord.i just connrected this router  to the e-cable and hey presto wireless round the office. No need to change setting. This was exactly the same with the sky router as well.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Just to check a few things:
You refer to a "sky modem" and "sky router"; so - modem, router or modem/router?
I don't see mention of it working connected to the 582n via cable - has this been checked?
Are you connecting to the homeplug via the WAN I/F or one of the LAN sockets (effectively using it as a switch)?
If WAN then
{
  Have you set the WAN I/F to "Dynamic IP"?
  Have you set the dhcp server to a different sub-net to the 582n? For example, 192.168.5.0 .
}else{
  Have you turned off the dhcp server on the WR450n?
}
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Tomc

Just to check a few things:
You refer to a "sky modem" and "sky router"; so - modem, router or modem/router?
I don't see mention of it working connected to the 582n via cable - has this been checked?
Are you connecting to the homeplug via the WAN I/F or one of the LAN sockets (effectively using it as a switch)?
If WAN then
{
  Have you set the WAN I/F to "Dynamic IP"?
  Have you set the dhcp server to a different sub-net to the 582n? For example, 192.168.5.0 .
}else{
  Have you turned off the dhcp server on the WR450n?
}
Phil

Many Thanks Phil
Dynamic DNS was switched of on the 582N this has now been rectified and all is working many thanks
Tom
Problem solved