cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transfer to fibre-optic queries

katie
Grafter

Re: transfer to fibre-optic queries

Sorry to be a pest but does the BT engineer bring the modem?
Katie
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Yes 🙂
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
katie
Grafter

Thanks again. I just hope BT remember to turn up tomorrow now. Smiley
Katie
katie
Grafter

I just wanted to update and say that after all my questions, I got the fibre optic product installed yesterday. The BT engineer checked my extension from the master socket in the porch to the office and said that it was od and so he installed the new master socket in the office. When he was done, he got me to do a speed test which shot up to 36.9 Mb/s Smiley His meter showed 42Gb so that was good.
The cable from the modem wasn't long enough to reach the shelf where I have always had my router but it fit nicely on the desk so I left it there.
Then I went to the lounge & set up my wireless network for the laptop but was disappointed with the speedtest as it wasn't much higher than it's always been - about 4.7Mb/s. however, I knew that the speed builds up over the first ten days so I wasn't worried about it. I suspected that the position of the router may be causing loss of speed, so I found a longer cable and connected it to the modem & router so the router could go back on the shelf. I had read that I should switch the powere off on the router 4 times in the first 10 days so (I switched off while I was replacing the cable to the router.
My speed now on wireless is hovering around 16.6 Mb/s which is encouraging!!
I now need to do port forwarding which I always have difficulty with. My last netgear router was configured using services & fireqall rules while this new one is straight port forwarding. I need to configure my ip cameras & synology server so that will be fun.
So Thank You to all who have replied to my posts over the last week, enabling a quick decision and super-fast installation.
Katie
laptop77
Grafter

Katie.In your first post on page 1 you say that you had unlimited package.Can you tell me how to get this please? Thanks
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The Plusnet Unlimited product was sold between 17th February 2009 and 21st October 2009.
David
katie
Grafter

Quote from: laptop77
Katie.In your first post on page 1 you say that you had unlimited package.Can you tell me how to get this please? Thanks

as spraxy said - tI'd had it for ages & was really happy with it but didn't abuse it.
Katie