cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

traffic managing?

Rik13
Grafter

traffic managing?

This isn't causing any problems at the minute , I'm just curious.
I've checked the speed of my connection a few times over the last few weeks and it's  around 8 mbps , other times it's been over 11 mbps for 2 or three days at a time, then back to 8. Is this to do with the network? Nothing's changed in the hardware set up that would affect things.
I connected a new laptop and router up for a relative who lives over the road who's just gone on to plusnet and theirs was about 11 when mine was , but as this was only connected a couple of days ago theirs is likely to be up and down any way I suspect?
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: traffic managing?

Have you checked the speeds reported by your router
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
This looks like it could be a fault rather than due to traffic management. I'd advise heading here to report that: http://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Rik13
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Have you checked the speeds reported by your router

Just looked it says about 8.5
Rik13
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Hi there,
This looks like it could be a fault rather than due to traffic management. I'd advise heading here to report that: http://faults.plus.net

It says there's a problem with the troubleshooter page and to try later or ring support..
The connection is fairly consistent for  days at a time at either the higher figure of 11 mbs or the lower of 8mbs?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

We've received your Fault Report even though it generated an error.
Our Faults Team will be back in touch within the next 48 hours.
Rik13
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Chris, but I'm hoping I have found the cause.
I have all the computer stuff plugged into one of those multi socket surge protector things,  the phone/ADSL line to the router goes through it as well and has done for the last couple of years, I have now bypassed this. Before doing so I checked the speed on one of the online testers and looked at my router settings panel , the online one was saying 7. something and the router was saying just over 8. Immediately after bypassing the surge protector the router said 13.3 and the online one about 11.9 ( the upload speed is always just over 1 mbs whatever). and it still is today.
could this have been the cause, the fact it immediately got faster would say so? Though It was occasionally the higher reading of 11 mbs +  while through the protector and this is why I hadn't tried eliminating this before?Huh
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It certainly could have caused the lower than expected speeds.
This is why it's a really good idea to rule everything out because you just never know! Smiley
We'll still take a look at your line either way just to be sure.
Rik13
Grafter

Thanks !
Which is the most accurate connection speed to look at , an online test, or the speed that is shown in your router settings ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

For connection speed the router as the other can be affected by all sorts of things
If the speed test results are much lower than the connection speeds then the information requested here would be needed http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html