cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

toshiba wireless

trekalot

toshiba wireless

An intriguing little problem. Doesn't bother me too much as being just me and my wife we'll put up with cables across the floor. Just interested if anyone else has the same problem.
We've a technicolor TG582N.
First laptop is a toshiba tecra. It doesn't show my plusnet wireless on it's available networks list. It shows various neighbour's wireless signals. I've tried the router in various locations, near the laptop and far away.
Go somewhere, like round to my sons house or public access point, the toshiba picks up and connects fine.
I've tried both the internal Intel 2200BG and a netgear plug-in, same thing.
My son came round with his HP laptop. He picked up and connected to my plusnet straightaway!!!
If I want to print to my canon wireless printer, which is upstairs, no problem, it works perfectly!!!
I got another Toshiba, a satellite. That doesn't show the plusnet wireless either!! Just the neighbour's signals.
I'm mentioning toshiba here, because I'm wondering if it's a toshiba-to-pusnet conflict that others have come across.
As i say, I can put up with using ethernet cable connection. Particularly as I can still print wirelessly.
I did talk to plusnet's helpline when I had just the tecra, but as the router is clearly working, and my son's HP connected, we just agreed to leave it as a laptop problem. But now the second toshiba does the same! Neither even shows the plusnet on the list, so i can't proceed with any diagnosis or configuration.
Just fascinated if anyone else has had this problem

4 REPLIES 4
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: toshiba wireless

What channel is your WiFI signal on?
Have you tried changing the WiFi channel?
Some Europe/UK channels (12 & 13) are not allowed in the USA.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#Interference_Concerns
I have found that some laptops & WiFi dongles default to the USA limits.
I also had a TP WiFi dongle which would not work on channel 1, no signal visible from my WiFi, but would work fine on other channels!
Richard
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You could try shortening the network name (SSID).  PlusnetWirelessABCDEF is too long for some devices to cope with.
trekalot

Thanks for your replies.
While I\ can make my way through the various menus, I'm not knowledgeable enough to find stuff like checking channels. I'll do a google search for advice on how to check that.
I get the point about the long plusnet address...but at the moment it doesn't even show up on available networks. I just get the neighbours Sky system, and talktalk system showing up. And my son came round with his laptop and connected straightaway.
Fascinating, and I'll try to delve into your suggestions.
Thanks again
trekalot

Well thanks!!!
The channel idea sorted it. I found (after a lot of searching being a technical novice) that my computer is set on channel 11. It didn't seem to have any autoranging feature, and no channels above 11. Anyway, 11 it is.
So I found out how to look at the router management, and found it was set on channel 12!!
I, with much trepidation, changed it to 11, and Lo and Behold....Plusnet appeared on my available networks!! I put in the key, and here I am typing this on WiFi!!
I guess my son's HP had a wireless thing that picked up channel 12.
Thanks again...I'm really grateful that you both gave quick and knowledgeable responses and I was able to solve the problem.