cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

timeouts and phone problems

exileshope
Dabbler

timeouts and phone problems

For the last 1-2 months Google has been taking 20-30 seconds to find almost any page i browse to.

The likes of the BBC tend to be much better. Now its got to 30-40 seconds and >50% of pages time out and i have to refresh to get them a second or third time.

Links to sites like the payment page on Ebay time out permanently. I have to use my mobile to pay for things currently.

PC is hardwired. My laptop on wifi sees exactly the same issue. And the windows 10 patch recently did not fix this.

In addition ive noticed issues with my landline but generally ignored them as a temp issue , and i dont use the landline normally ever 

But Sunday i was taking work calls from India..and got cut off after 5 mins. Noticed then that my landline had no dial tone..just loud crackling. For 2-3 hours then it worked again. Thats what ive had before.

Dont know if the 2 issues are linked.

I will try disconnected the 2 phones later and see if the web issue is resolved. But given the net goes into a master socket and not through filters if be surprised if the issue was my hardware.

Any suggestions?

Marc

19 REPLIES 19
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: timeouts and phone problems

Try altering your router DNS settings to Googles, or do it on devices individually if Router doesn't permit.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@exileshope wrote:

In addition ive noticed issues with my landline but generally ignored them as a temp issue , and i dont use the landline normally ever 

But Sunday i was taking work calls from India..and got cut off after 5 mins. Noticed then that my landline had no dial tone..just loud crackling. For 2-3 hours then it worked again. Thats what ive had before.

Dont know if the 2 issues are linked.

I will try disconnected the 2 phones later and see if the web issue is resolved. But given the net goes into a master socket and not through filters if be surprised if the issue was my hardware.

Any suggestions?

Marc

Testing your line is bringing back that there may be an issue with some equipment at your side. Can you let me know when you've been able to try disconnecting the phones and we can test the line again to see how that goes.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
exileshope
Dabbler

Chris 

Phone now disconnected from the master socket, if you could retest at your convenience. I wont reconnect for now.

Having got home and done this im not currently seeing any delays in opening new browser pages. If you can test the line for me again and it appears ok i will retest with the phone plugged in. Could be a fault with my BT handsets (wireless).

MArc

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm still getting the same response from a line test. What do you have connected to your sockets? At the moment is it just the router in the master socket?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
exileshope
Dabbler

I actually am still getting some time outs...just not as often (usually almost all)

Currently all i have plugged in anywhere is the router into the master socket. Nothing else at all.

Marc

exileshope
Dabbler

Ive fixed the issue with web pages timing out  by changing my DNS address to Googles.

But still see my internet drop out totally every day (sometimes 3-4 times in an evening).

Router shows internet LED goes red. Comes back 2-3 mins later (or if i turn it off and on again).

Today i plugged my landline back in (had nothing connected bar the router for a month) and i find the phone line is also not working correctly - made one call and the crackle was sooo bad i had to hang up and use my mobile. This is what i was getting before along with dead phone line (no tone at all) on some days.

Not sure if this means a problem with my line? Or with a faulty router thats possibly impacting on the phone too?Huh

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I can see it's in the master socket Smiley

But is it in the test point at the master socket? - Click me

(You could scroll up to the top on that link too)

exileshope
Dabbler

I dont believe I have a master socket though can remove the front plate tomorrow in daylight when i can see it and get to it easier.

I have a top socket feeding the modem. And the bottom socket (now unconnected again) for the phone line (which i unplugged again immediately after my previous post).

DS
Seasoned Champion

exileshope wrote: (snipped) I have a top socket feeding the modem. And the bottom socket

Could you please clarify, the top socket and bottom socket are actually both on the same master telephone socket?

(Click here for an image)

Or do you mean you have two separate sockets - ie one in room 'y' and another in room 'z'?

(Click here for an image)

If you have a combined telephone socket (the same as the upper link on this post), when you connect via a microfilter  you are actually double filtering.

To overcome this, you need to also remove this plate (upper link again) too and then connect your microfilter in there.

Do you see any improvement now?

exileshope
Dabbler

The former. On one box. But i dont have any micro filter of any kind.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Are you still getting problems and crackles on your phone? It would be worth plugging it into the test socket and dialling 17070, quiet line test. Any pops and crackles will need to be sorted before your broadband improves.

Have a look here for more details.

Does PN also supply your phone?

exileshope
Dabbler

Yes its a complete package with Plusnet.

I will try the master socket tomorrow thanks. Its down the side of my desk and awkward to get at.

Phone was bad late last year when i unplugged it. Went dead for a day or 2 at a time. Then i started getting bad crackles.

I rarely ever use it (if i could get cable id not bother with a landline at all).

DS
Seasoned Champion

@exileshope wrote:

The former. On one box. But i dont have any micro filter of any kind.

Ok, the test point (behind the lower removable cover) isn't strictly the correct one - it's down to the design.

The faceplate (where your router is currently plugged in to) can become faulty. To eliminate that you would need to remove that cover too. Behind there you should see just one standard phone socket.

Here's where a problem lies - you need a microfilter and one should have been in the same box that the router came in.

If you can find, beg, borrow or steal one you would then plug the microfilter in to the 'true' test point and then connect the phone and router to this.

Then you need to see if there's any noise on the phone and also see if the internet connection improves.

If it does, then it's a faulty 'i Plate'.

exileshope
Dabbler

Cheers!

Openreach  installed it all for PN and left no filter or any packaging.

Will have to see if i still have a filter left from my old house.