cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

throttled (?) at 500kBps

FIXED
stevenomalley

throttled (?) at 500kBps

As per some other recent posts on this forum, we have experienced intermittent outages, lasting a few minutes at time, in the internet service over the last few days. Today (Fri 01/5/20) has seen fewer outages (broadband light on Plusnet router still solid, but internet light out), however our internet download speed appears to have been throttled.

My estimate of the download speed comes from Steam, which I have used to download a couple of games. It usually reports a DL speed of 1.8MBps (14.4Mbps) but today it appears to have been capped at a nice round 500kBps (4Mbps). The cap has not been put in place by me using Steam or any other setting at my end. I wonder if this is throttling in action, since it is striking that the download speed appears to have held roughly constant at 500 kilobytes per second for most of the day, well down on our (still not great) 1.8 megabytes per second. We are all paid up with our current bill, as always. 

While researching this problem of the internet outages I came to realise that the standard Plusnet Sagemcom 2704N router is actually quite rubbish, and that on a normal day of service I should probably have been getting better that the 14.4 megabits per second had the router allowed it. Therefore a new third party router is on its way to me. But that will be pretty irrelevant if our connection (download) speed remains as low as half a megabyte per second.

I tried to work through the Plusnet Broadband Troubleshooter, and got as far as the bit where it suggests that I try an alternative microfilter. I don't have one, and it seems inappropriate and impractical to go out and get another one at this time. Plus, I am certain that this isn't the problem anyway, unless my microfilter has spontaneously developed a fault at the same time that several other customers complain that they are suddenly also experiencing issues similar to my own, and which are also somewhat similar to the issues reported in national news that other ISPs are also experiencing.

Please could anybody help me with these questions:

1) are you also experiencing intermittent internet outages on your Plusnet ADSL service at the moment? (last few days)

2) has your maximum download speed reduced noticeably, and unusually, in the last few days?

Thanks in advance

Steven

3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: throttled (?) at 500kBps

Moderators Note

This topic has been released from spam filter

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Fix

Hi @stevenomalley

Warm welcome to forum.

I am sorry to hear about problems with your broadband. I can see that there is a high resistance fault on line causing drops of connection and problems with speeds you are getting. I can see that you've already raised it online. One of our fault agents will be in touch with you shortly to arrange engineer visit.

After engineer will fix this fault, your speeds will go back to normal.

Please accept apologies for this inconvenience.

stevenomalley

Now resolved, thank you.