cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the process of installing a new line?

reece251
Grafter

the process of installing a new line?

Im certainly getting the most out of this forum haha.
can anyone tell me the process of installing a new bt line im not looking for major detail i just want to know if it involves any drilling or any noticable change to the look of the property inside or out.
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: the process of installing a new line?

Hi there,
The only work that would need to be done outside the property would be at the point where the line enters the property, it's common for existing ways to run the line in to be used but in some cases holes might need to be drilled.
Re the work inside it's just a case of a cable being run and a master socket being fitted. This is usually done within 30 metres of the point at which the line enters the property so you should have some choice as to where that goes depending on where the line comes in.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyH
Grafter

If you've just moved into a property and there is a master socket present which is already wired up, then the engineer might be able to complete the install from the exchange without needing to attend the property (he will phone to make sure it's working however).
If you want an additional line, there will need to be another master socket installed somewhere (ideally where the wiring comes into your property). If the existing wiring coming into your property has a spare pair of wires, then he'll be able to use those rather that running new cable.
reece251
Grafter

Hi guys thanks for your responses
I believe I have a master socket already I will send a link to the picture.
If tat master socket is working then does this mean I will d not need to wait for my April 9th engineer appointment
Also when will I need to know if an engineer is required to enter the property
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
If you plug a phone in and get a dial tone chances are it's either active or just needs turning on remotely (especially if you get a number read back to you when you dial 17070). If that is the case then you shouldn't need an engineer for the phone install and as you're not having fibre broadband you won't need an engineer for that either.
reece251
Grafter

i didnt hear a dial tone a few weeks ago what does this mean? mind you it could be the phone but im not too sure
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Likely that the line has actually been physically disconnected if there's no dial tone, in which case an engineer will need to attend to make sure it's all working I'm afraid.
reece251
Grafter

ok no problem i guess i will find out when the line is initally tested. I wonder when my bank will accept the dd because im still on the checking details section of the order tracker. also is it worth it to plug my phone into the test socket in the master socket.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Direct debits usually take around a week to become active so that's likely to be a few more days yet.
You can try the test socket by all means, my guess would be that you'd see the same result there but it's quite an easy check to do.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team