cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tg582n without USB port

screamingman

tg582n without USB port

I have a Technicolour tg582n but it does not have a USB port . I've seen other users referring to it and all the pictures I've seen show this but mine doesn't have one ! despite this it shows up on my network as a UPNP device and I can even browse folders and sub folders for Music, Photos etc but obviously don't have any way of using these. Can someone explain why I don't have the port ?
9 REPLIES 9
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: tg582n without USB port

I think plusnet has been shipping the routers without usb ports fitted.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
screamingman

thanks its what I suspected ...pretty shoddy that the firmware hasn't even been changed but there you go!
vultura
Rising Star

There is a later firmware thats not available currently, not sure though if it removes the usb server.  I am guessing it won't.
When did you receive your router? 
I have just checked mine which arrived yesterday and on the left hand side the usb port is present.
jtonline
Grafter

Quote from: vultura
...I have just checked mine which arrived yesterday and on the left hand side the usb port is present.

I think I'm correct in saying that it's only the routers that are supplied to FTTC customers that have the USB port, the others don't have the USB components on the circuit board.
vultura
Rising Star

Ah, I see.  Thats a weird thing to do me thinks.....
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Can swap if you want, I have a technicolor 582N with USB port on. Never used tho
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: jtonline
Quote from: vultura
...I have just checked mine which arrived yesterday and on the left hand side the usb port is present.

I think I'm correct in saying that it's only the routers that are supplied to FTTC customers that have the USB port, the others don't have the USB components on the circuit board.

I'm afraid that's not correct. They used to be supplied with the USB socket for ADSL(2+).
prichardson
Grafter

Indeed,
Our FTTC routers due to the way they are produced some with the USB port at present. This may change in the future.
Our standard DSL router is produced without a USB port in it. This production switch occurred in April this year and units shipped from them come without.
The firmware was modified and should have the share functions disabled. So I am going to look at that a little further. uPnP will however remain enabled, as this is used for other functions including connectivity status information and uPnP enabled applications for port forwarding.
screamingman

Thanks for replies. I got mine in June so that explains it. Will probably just accept it and go on using an ancient low power PC as  media server. I'm sure BT's  home hub server has a lot more functionality so shame Plusnet customers are getting such stripped down hardware... Undecided