cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

terrible upload speeds after midnight

julianhadlow
Grafter

terrible upload speeds after midnight

I'm getting terrible FTP upload speeds after midnight. I thought it was supposed to be unmetered?
Currently I'm getting 3.8 kb/s upload, which means I have to keep my computer on for the next 5 1/2 hours to upload three videos totaling just 118 megabytes!
I've had to complain many times for poor download speeds, dropped connections etc, none of which has ever been rectified, but this takes the biscuit! All that happens is that when my connection is dropped, everyone is very nice and checks it out, but nothing ever improves.
I have enclosed a screengrab as an attachment so you can see how awful it really is. As you can see, I positioned it so you can also see the time...
Oh, speed has just dropped again, current estimate is now a further 5 hours 38 minutes....
44 REPLIES 44
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: terrible upload speeds after midnight

Hi julianhadlow,
I am sorry to hear that you're having issues with your upload speed. Can you please confirm which router it is that you are using? Are you using a Wireless Connection or are you connected via Ethernet?
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Also to add to what Chris has asked. What FTP site is it? Do the slow speeds happen on any other FTP servers or just one?
That's RPM to you!!
julianhadlow
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Hi julianhadlow,
I am sorry to hear that you're having issues with your upload speed. Can you please confirm which router it is that you are using? Are you using a Wireless Connection or are you connected via Ethernet?

Connection is Ethernet. Modem is Thompson TG585
julianhadlow
Grafter

Quote from: RPMozley
Also to add to what Chris has asked. What FTP site is it? Do the slow speeds happen on any other FTP servers or just one?

This is to my own website hosted on BlueHost. No idea about any other FTP site as it is my website I'm concerned about. I don't upload anywhere else.
I might add that I think the connection is throttled so much it has strangled the life out of it.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Would it be possible for you to post you Line Statistics?
You can find further information on how to obtain this information <a href="http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php">here</a>
julianhadlow
Grafter

This what you need?
Uptime: 0 days, 3:19:12
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 19,076 / 5,468
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 732 / 4,000
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 162.97 / 208.34
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.5 / 50.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 3.5 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 126 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 131,079 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 697,864 / 11,278
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 62 / 6
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 34 / NA
dick:quote
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yeah those statistics are perfect thank you Smiley
Do you use the Internet to upload anything else at all? The reason I ask is just to find out whether or not is it just the site that you are using that is giving you low upload speeds or if it is something that is affecting you variably?
julianhadlow
Grafter

As I said, I don't upload anywhere else (actually I do upload to a 'testing' site at TalkTalk - previously f2s.com. Speeds are pretty much the same there too).
I can tell you that download speeds are normally around 2.5-3mb/s which isn't good either.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok. We'll be more than happy to investigate this for you. I've sent you a PM with further details. Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my PM. I have checked your line and can see that it is chronically banded, although this probably wont be affecting your upload speeds, I just wondered if you had noticed whether or not you've had any drops in your connection at all?
julianhadlow
Grafter

I have drops in my connection all the time! As for being chronically 'banded' not sure what that means, but my download speeds aren't very good either, as I pointed out in another message.
Anyhow, the nitty gritty is, what can be done about it?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

My apologies, I will explain about banding Smiley
When your connection drops consistently the exchange equipment will lower your speeds to try and automatically rectify the issue. When the line becomes restricted in this way it becomes 'banded'. If your line becomes stable, the banding will automatically remove itself normally.
If your line had been dropping a lot your line will become 'chronically banded' this means that the banding cannot be removed automatically, it is something that we would need to get removed for you. In a nutshell, banding is a restriction that is placed on your line, generally due to a dropping broadband connection.
I think it is important we get this problem resolved by firstly looking at the dropping connection problem. If we remove the banding straight away, it will only go back on again. I would advise, if you haven't already, try an alternative microfilter. If this has been done and the connection is still dropping, plugging your equipment into your <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml">Test Socket</a> may help resolve the problem.
It's important that we rule out the dropping connection being caused by any broadband hardware or any internal wiring. I would be more than happy to take ownership of this problem for you and if you require any further help, I'll be here to support you. I'm very keen to help you until we get the problem resolved fully for you.
julianhadlow
Grafter

Hi Chris,
I am advised to change the micro filter all the time, and also to plug into the main test socket under the cover as well, but it never does any good. I have done this so many times now to no avail, that I'm totally fed up with the situation. It definitely isn't wiring internal to the house, and I don't think it's the modem, so it has to be external.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Can you hear any audible crackling or noise when using the phone, or have any problems with outgoing or incoming calls? This would indicate a possible problem with the line which will affect the broadband as well.