Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

terrible speeds tonight ???

zubel
Community Veteran

Re: terrible speeds tonight ???

Quote from: Sproglet
I do feel that we should be demanding compensation for failure to supply an acceptable service.

I think this would be a premature step, and tbh you're not entitled to compensation above and beyond what you paid for the service.  At the very most, you would perhaps ask for 12 hours refund, which, depending on what package you were on could be a whopping 30p
Quote from: Sproglet
Tell you this for nothing. If my speed jumps after midnight to a reasonable speed there is going to be hell to pay.

I predict the speed will increase.  Not because Plusnet have been intentionally throttling you, but because the Ellacoyas go through a programming change at midnight, and a knock-on effect of this is likely to be that speed profiles are reset.
I suggest you go and watch TV or do something else instead of getting frustrated at a partially working internet connection.  I had problems earlier this evening, so I actually did something else.  I came back an hour ago and everything was fine.
Issues arise all the time with any service, and Internet access is no exception.  Yelling "compensation!" is one of the most irritating and pointless exercises in these situations.
B.
karmi
Grafter

Yep same dire crap thought it was me (same happened 2 weeks ago) so raised a ticket again about how it was fixed last time (resetting my usage allownace + package but it appears its everyone).
140ms+ @ most CS servers / 1k+ in Wow and <128k/64k speeds. Hope its fixed by tomorrow, got Illidan and I cant play with 1k latency.
Hope it will be fixed, im on the "Telehouse North, Juniper 7" gateway and exchange of Forfar all is good, my line stats are probably the most exceptional line stats in all of Scotland (Seriously!) and I sync at 8128/448 always.
Im fine with a problem now and again, a night of usage being slow or whatever but approx. 2 weeks ago I had the same problem and it lasted a week, which really messed me around. (Link to thread: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=1516.0 )
We'll see how it goes tomorrow, still horrible speeds for me though.
Sproglet
Grafter

Having been with Plusnet though all the "Plusnot" era and the slow speeds of the past I have a right to be more than slightly irritated myself when they appear to have returned.
Having an incorrect profile assigned to your account as it looks like some people had is definately a fault on plusnet's behalf and anything that is their fault is grounds for compensation.
It may be only "30p" as you so callously put it but I'd rather see it in my pocket (and others) than in theirs for not supplying a service we've paid for.
My speeds are still slow. Not as slow but still under 300kbps so absolutely pathetic.
Ianwild
Grafter

The fault could lie in many places, and I can't see any particular problems looking here, although that doesn't prove a problem doesn't exist.
I'd just ask you to work with us to diagnose what the problem is before jumping to any conclusions. We have additional capacity due next week, but if it's the case that others connected on the same gateway aren't seeing problem it makes it perfectly possible that it isn't a problem with capacity on on our network at all.
Without more info it's difficult to say - Can you post your synchronisation speed and any changes you see along with the ticket number so I can look further tomorrow?
I would add that it is perfectly likely that any congestion related problems (Be them on our network or related to the BT element of the connection) may well go away at around Midnight, as that is when most people go to bed and stop using their connection.
If it turns out to be a line quality issue (which a 160Kbps speed test result often suggests), then it wouldn't make any difference which ISP you were with, you are going to have a problems until we get to the root cause and solve it between us.
Ian
Sproglet
Grafter

My sync speed is over 6.5kbps and 5500 is the rate limit.
I've re-sync'd a couple of times and speed is back to normal for now.
karmi
Grafter

I challenge you to find anyone with line stats as good as mine, I really do!
The last time I had a problem, it was because of an error at your end. Infact every problem I have ever had with Plusnet is out of my control, no offence to you because you have a wonderful support team.
My speeds are back up a bit, I guess. Like 5k/400 compared to 7k/400. Its fine, its good enough, pings are still 120+ though.
Im on ptn-ag1 now and heres a tracrt.
C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel>tracert plus.net
Tracing route to plus.net [212.159.8.137]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    1 ms    1 ms    1 ms  voyager.home [192.168.1.1]
  2  118 ms  116 ms  117 ms  lo0-homesurf.ptn-ag1.plus.net [195.166.128.124]
  3  144 ms  112 ms  114 ms  ge1-0-0-106.ptn-gw1.plus.net [84.92.3.41]
  4  112 ms  112 ms  112 ms  gi0-1-31.ptc-gw1.plus.net [195.166.129.3]
  5  116 ms  117 ms  113 ms  se3-0.pih-gw1.plus.net [195.166.129.250]
  6  115 ms  116 ms  115 ms  vlan7.pih-gw3.plus.net [212.159.0.26]
  7  114 ms  112 ms  113 ms  pih-al4.plus.net [212.159.1.36]
  8  113 ms  112 ms  111 ms  plus.net [212.159.8.137]
Trace complete.

Hopefully its sorted by later on and the speeds dont drop horribly during peak hours.
"If it turns out to be a line quality issue (which a 160Kbps speed test result often suggests), then it wouldn't make any difference which ISP you were with, you are going to have a problems until we get to the root cause and solve it between us."
Also, this statement, I agree with it to a certain extent but have everyone in this thread's lines gone crazy at the same time? Did my line go when I recieved 128k/64k?  Nope, it was the bandwidth you allowed me, not what my line could handle.
Oh and heres my "exceptional" linestats if anyones interested!
Line mode G.dmt   Line state Show Time
Latency Type Fast   Line Up Time 00:00:14:20
Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 1

Statistics       Downstream      Upstream
Line Rate       8128 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin   12.9 dB         27.0 dB
Line Attenuation  9.5 dB         5.5 dB
Output Power   15.8 dBm          12.4 dBm
James
Grafter

Guys,
Can I ask that before we start finger pointing we're doing essential tests.  It is absolutely imperative that BT Speedtests are run before we start shouting at PlusNet Smiley
It is possible that some of this issues are related to reset IP Profiles at BTs end and without running tests we cannot know this.  I'm not aware of any generic routing or traffic management issues over the course of the weekend, but should anyone still be experiencing speed associated issues I am more than happy to look into these on an individual basis.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I'm also central Scotland and I was having the problems last night. I couldn't run the BT speed test because it would just time out. I submitted a fault ticket and apparently nothing was found, then I was pointed at a support article that tells you what could be the problem with your line.
James, I'm sure that 4-5 of us all from central Scotland aren't simultaniously having line problems or contention issues. I'm pretty out in the sticks and I always have a constant speed, I've never had contention issues (and the fault ticket said that the exchange was running bellow full capacity so it wouldn't be a contention issue).
It all only lasted around 2-3 hours for me last night (from 4:30pm ish), then it sorted itself.
If you could James, could you have a look at my account to see if there's anything that went on? (Although I already got Brad to check it for me and he couldn't find any problems at that time)
James
Grafter

Fully appreciate that Mike.
I've been speaking with Networks about this this morning and we're looking into the issues that have been experienced over the course of the weekend.
I'll ensure that everyone is kept upto date.
rikmoncur
Grafter

monday morning - slow speeds, went through the fault checker as suggested in the ticketing system.
no problems found.
anyway, now monday at noon speed's back up to 4Mb again.
hopefully it was just a glitch that's been fixed.
James
Grafter

Hmm.  there was an MSO in the Glasgow exchange at the beginning of the weekend which was apparently fixed.
This could potentially have been the cause, given that the majority of you are roughly in this area (apologies, my Scottish Geography is not that great).
I've spoken with Dave and the latency across our network was good on Saturday and Sunday and better than it was earlier in the week, which possibly suggests that it was not our network at fault.
Glad to hear performance has since improved.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I'm probably about 20-30 miles from glasgow so don't think my problem would have been because of that exchange. Was there any issues at ESSHO exchange?
I'll post here if it gets bad again.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
I've just been looking over the network performance for the weekend and for a busy Sunday it was performing quite well, I'd wouldn't have been surprised to see low P2P speeds but pings, gaming and HTTP should have been unaffected.
With most of the reports from a similar area of the country I'd also be more inclined to think that it was something within the BT network, there's a few posts over in the Enta forum on ADSLGuide with the same problem and another on IDNet.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
I'm probably about 20-30 miles from glasgow so don't think my problem would have been because of that exchange. Was there any issues at ESSHO exchange?
I'll post here if it gets bad again.

It depends where the backhaul is routed, I would suspect.
Although you're not directly connected to the Glasgow exchange (20-30 miles would give a pretty poor ADSL experience ;)), the fibre backhaul from your exchange has to *go* somewhere, and a nearby metropolitan area is a distinct possibility.
It's unusual that BT didn't post any wider-ranging problems, but if the majority of people who experienced speed problems were geographically close, then it's pretty safe to say it was a BT problem.
With other reports coming in from other ISP's, I think that pretty much confirms it.  Of course, getting a confirmation out of BT would be like drawing blood from a stone...
B.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Cheers Dave and Barry for clearing that up. Will PlusNet hear anything from BT about the problem, or will BT just brush it under the rug never to be spoken of again? I'm sure this is the most likely outcome when BT is concerned Tongue