cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

technicolor tg582n router update

jamieheron1995
Dabbler

technicolor tg582n router update

Hello, I have recently had my Plusnet services turned back on after a couple of months . But I'm getting very low Internet speeds and I was told that my Technicolor Tg582n router might need updating.
Is it possible to have this update applied for me, or do I need to apply it myself?
23 REPLIES 23
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: technicolor tg582n router update

If you really want to update it, you could have/do either. BUT I think it unlikely that the firmware version is causing that problem.
Can you post the full DSL stats using the link in my sig, also your Current Line speed (Login required) - but don't post the phone number!
Whilst you are logged into the 582n, tell us what the firmware version is.
jamieheron1995
Dabbler

Uptime: 1 day, 16:52:40
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 4,119
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 980.92 / 5.04
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.6 / 38.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.9 / 15.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 102 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 12 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3,560 / 29
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 40 / 1,699
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 22 / 13,739

Estimated line speed:
12Mb (This may vary between 7Mb and 17Mb) - Checked on 2016-02-09 16:49:15
Current line speed:
3.6 Mb

Software Release: 10.2.2.B

Anotherone
Champion

Ok, you don't need a firmware update, that is the latest for that ADSL version of the 582n.
As far as the stats go, ooops. Problems here, we need to find out why. Your downstream Target SNRM (nosie margin) looks as though it's 15dB which will be the reason your sync speed (and hence IP Profile and so Current Line Speed) and throughput speed are low.
You have had 12 losses of sync (LoS - loss of signal) since you last powered up or rebooted the 582n, so you probably have a lot of noise or interference present, so it's likely that this is the reason that the automatic exchange Dynamic Line Management has pushed up your Target SNRM with the consequence of slower speeds.
Let's start with the basics.
Can you hear any audible noise on the line, or have any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?  - Use the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2 if need be.
Have you noticed whether the sync drops - Broadband light on the 582n flashes when you get an incoming call - the phone ringing, or at pick up?
Do you have a Master Socket similar to the one on the left?
Do you have any extension phone sockets or any extension phone/modem leads, and what is normally plugged in where?
Do all your Microfilters look similar to this? Do you have a spare filter?
Is everything that's plugged in connected via a filter? - eg. a Sky box, Fax machine etc.
jamieheron1995
Dabbler

I have a master socket which the router and phone line are plugged into, nothing else is connected. I do hear static before making a phone call.
I have a space filter, should I try using that and see if it solves the problem?
Anotherone
Champion

Ok, it sounds like you have a line fault which you'll need to report to your line rental provider. If this is Plusnet, that will help. But change the filter first.
The best method of changing anything that involves a loss of sync is to power down the modem/router first, then after about a minute you can disconnect it from the line and swap whatever you need to swap. It's also wise to log into the modem/router and click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session first before powering off. This helps prevent the possibility of a stale session which doesn't die immediately - it's not a huge risk but good practise.
Before connecting up again, plug your phone directly into the Test Socket and check again for noise. Then reconnect everything with the spare filter.
Leave the modem/router off for about 10-15 minutes before powering up again.
Do a further check for line noise. You might have to repeat Quiet LIne Tests to catch the line noisy again. Post how you get on with the checks.
Deeday

Hi Anotherone, nice tips. Do you also have a link to how to update the TG582n? Mine still is at Software Release: 8.4.4.J, which I doubt is up-to-date.
Cheers!  Smiley
Deeday

To answer my own question, here is the link. It's titled "How to upgrade/downgrade the firmware on the Thomson 585v7" but it applies also to the 582n.
Anotherone
Champion

That's correct Deeday. Don't forget, depending on your Windows version, use the right tool and you may need to run it in Compatibility mode.
You should also apply the WANDownSpoofing fix. Perhaps Jamie ought to apply it as well to minimise the likelihood of ongoing DNS issues.
If you are both familiar with Telnet - which you may need to activate first - then you telnet into the TG582n as follows -
Open a cmd window and then type the following
Telnet 192.168.1.254
when prompted for the username it's   admin   (all lower case) then the password which is the serial number beginning  CP...
At the telnet prompt, type
dns server config WANDownSpoofing = disabled
saveall
dns server debug spoof clear
dns server debug spoof list
exit
The last two dns commands are to clear and check the cache is clear of spoofed addresses.
If you aren't familiar with Telnet and need more advice, please ask.
Deeday

Thanks Anotherone! The DNS spoofing issue was an interesting discovery (I've hardly ever noticed any DNS problems so far, but  am on Ubuntu most of the time). I then wanted to find out more about the Telnet interface to the TG582n and found a manual 800+ pages long  Shocked - never mind the web interface!
The firmware update tool worked fine too, on Windows 10 and setting the two exe files (setup.exe and menu.exe) to Win XP SP3 Compatibility Mode. The only thing that didn't work, for some reason, was the restoring of the existing router's configuration, which means that after the update, the router was factory-reset - not a big deal anyway.
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, I did mention in another thread recently about not using any of the old config backup files with the newer firmware. It's a bit tedious if you have much customisation. There is an 800+ page CLI manuals for the 10.2. firmware as well as the 8.4 firmware! and some of the CLI commands did change Shocked  I think I've got a link to it somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment Embarrassed  Let me know if you can't track it down.
Anotherone
Champion

Blimey, found one, try this
jamieheron1995
Dabbler

I've definitely got a faulty phone line as the internet and phone connection keeps dropping every five minutes.
What can I do to fix this situation, because it's becoming almost unusable.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there. I'd recommend testing your line by clicking on the following link:
https://portal.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/
(You'll need to be logged into the Member Centre first)
If there's a fault found, the troubleshooter will raise it directly to our suppliers. If there's no fault, I'd advise to try plugging your phone and router into the test socket (found behind the master phone socket). If the problem still persists, then you'll need to contact us by phone to arrange an engineer visit.
Hope this helps
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Anotherone
Champion

Jamie, can you please answer the questions in reply #3.
If your stats are pretty much the same reply #2, then on the assumption that you have an NTE5a etc (clicking the links in the questions will guide you), remove the lower front plate by undoing the two screws, and plug a phone (preferably corded) directly into the test socket and do the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2 as previously mentioned. If you are hearing noises, plug a filter into the test socket and reconnect the TG582n and phone and then complete the troubleshooter in the link given by Anoush.