cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

technicolor tg582n and a wifi range extender

tyros

technicolor tg582n and a wifi range extender

Hi,
I've just received the Technicolor tg582n replacing my old BT Voyager 2110. I was really hoping that a  wifi deadspot in my house would be covered that wasn't with the old Voyager, but no such luck.
As I can't move the Technicolor elsewhere I was now thinking of a wifi extender. Looking around the Netgear WN1000RP seems very popular, however after reading this post:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115283.0.html I am now worred this will not work. Has anyone successfully used this extender? If not, can anyone recommend an extender that actually works with the Technicolor.
Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: technicolor tg582n and a wifi range extender

You can use the Voyager as a second wireless access point. The following link shows how to do this with two technicolor routers, the same principle applies when using the Voyager.
Connect the two routers together with a ethernet cable or a pair of homeplugs.
http://npr.me.uk/together.html
tyros

Thanks for this, but I cannot use ethernet cable, so this would require using up 3 electrical sockets.  I would then definitely need to use a 4 way adapter (which you shouldn't use with homeplugs from my understanding). I was thinking of a wifi range extender like the Netgear as this only requires one socket instead of the three.
I know there are other extenders such as TP link etc. I was just wondering if anyone had any success with any extender with the technicolor. I'm happy to use either the box type or the ones that plug straight into the wall.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I've successfully used powerplugs with a 6 way adapter. It's only adapters with rf filters (surge protector) that cause problems AFAIK.
hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I hit a major snag when planning to use powerplugs. The company advised that unless the plugs are on the same ring circuit, they won't work. Most British homes usually have at least two "ring mains": one for downstairs; the other upstairs. However, I haven't tested the advice personally.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Although I haven't got any Home Plugs, they should work across different rings as long as they're fed from the same consumer unit.
BJK
Dabbler

I use the TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wall Plug Range Extender/ Wi-Fi Booster, £26.98 from Amazon, it works for me
Zigster

Quote from: tyros
Hi,
I've just received the Technicolor tg582n replacing my old BT Voyager 2110. I was really hoping that a  wifi deadspot in my house would be covered that wasn't with the old Voyager, but no such luck.
As I can't move the Technicolor elsewhere I was now thinking of a wifi extender. Looking around the Netgear WN1000RP seems very popular, however after reading this post:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115283.0.html I am now worred this will not work. Has anyone successfully used this extender? If not, can anyone recommend an extender that actually works with the Technicolor.
Thanks.

I've got that Netgear wifi extender.  It's pretty good when it works (a bit slow, perhaps, but good enough for what I need it for) but it crashes regularly - perhaps a couple of times a day.  Easily solved by switching off and back on again so just an inconvenience but still rather irritating.  I recall trying to upgrade the firmware but we are a Mac-friendly household and I seem to think the firmware updater needed a PC.
I've used it with PlusNet ADSL and currently with PlusNet Fibre.