Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

technicolor routers

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

technicolor routers

Hi.
Would like to ask for some of your sage advice.........
My parents router has failed, it was an HGV2700 which I got for them, as they have a long line, attn 55.5, but it did given them good syncs of 3500-4000 on adsl2.  Anyhow, I wondered what the plusnet supplied technicolors were like on longer lines, all my parents do is surf, use skype etc, nothing heavy.
I have noticed that their line SNR is raised at 15dB and downstream syncs with the old thompson 585, I have them on as an interim measure are only 2200ish.  Can any of the DCT send me their radius logs, or let me know what their connection has been doing lately. If its been dropping maybe it was the router.  Once the new one is in place, can I request an SNR reset?
Cheers
5 REPLIES 5
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: technicolor routers

I can certainly help with that, can you pm me the username. The Technicolor router will work fine on a long line, so you'll have now problems there.
Regarding the SNR reset, as long at the line is stable then that wouldn't be a problem at all Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'd consider another hgv2700 as a possible option if you'd previously found it out-performed everything else.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

My parents router has failed, it was an HGV2700

It's very probably not the 2700HGV that has failed, more likely its just the PSU. Any 5v PSU capable of 3A ( 4A would be better! ) will do.
I've replaced 2 in the office over the last year. As long as you're handy with a soldering iron. It's difficult to get a replacement with the correct plug so just cut the plugs ( with a short length of cable attached ) off both old and new psus and splice the old plug with cable onto the new psu cable. I've used these psu's from RS http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plug-in-power-supply/7262836/?searchTerm=7262836
or you could try maplin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If it's the PSU I got one from ebay a while back for £7.00 delivered - 2-Wire branded in a sealed bag.  Worth a look to see if thre are any currently.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Well they have their new router, and I connected it up yesterday.  All seems fine, except they seem to have a downstream margin of 15dB.
@Chrispurvey....  The raduis logs you sent me, dont particularly indicate an unstable line. Their Stats yesterday were
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:856 / 2,528
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]:608.56 / 2.56
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.7 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:33.8 / 56.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:6.0 / 14.3
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):BDCM / IFTN
I agree with the fact they are ADSL2 rather than 2+ with their attenuation of 56.5. 
Is it possible to set their line to a fixed margin of 9dB down and 6dB up??  I seem to recall we could do this at one point on the 21CN equipment
Cheers