cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

technicolor can connect by wireless but not wired (ethernet)

fp
Grafter

technicolor can connect by wireless but not wired (ethernet)

The plusnet outage this evening dropped my internet connection (FTTC).  Now it is re-established I can only connect via wireless not ethernet (wired) on three different device.   Iceweasel (debian firefox) times out and there is no ping response even though the computers think the network connection has been established - I enabled ping in the technicolor router for the test.
Other than turn the technicolor router off and back on after, I have changed nothing - I think.
I use static IP addresses and nothing appears to have changed.  The technicolor router is still set for static IP with the correct ranges.
Any ideas what the problem might be?  
For information: the green led on  the back of the technicolor router by the ethernet ports is lit showing the ethernet connection is made and flashes initially when the computer tries to initiate a connection with the router.  The Home > Home Network > Interfaces > LocalNetwork page of the technicolor router shows nothing attached to ethport1, ethport2 or ethport3 and PlusnetWireless**** attached to WLAN.
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: technicolor can connect by wireless but not wired (ethernet)

I use static IP addresses and nothing appears to have changed.  The technicolor router is still set for static IP with the correct ranges.
It does look like you have a problem with the static IP's. From your description it sounds like you have the wrong subnet for your static IP's somehow!. Are the IP's set as static on the machines themselves OR is the router set to 'always allocate the same IP' ?
I enabled ping in the technicolor router for the test.
That only controls ping from the WAn , it's always enabled from the LAN.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Have you used ifconfig or ipconfig (as appropriate) to check all the "client" IP addresses?
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
fp
Grafter

I did a factory reset with a paperclip as described in the 'Getting Started with your fibre router' guide supplied by Plusnet with the technicolor router  and everything is now back to normal.  Just hope my speed has not been affected by disconnecting the router (but not the modem).  Clearly there is something I do not understand about DHCP/static IP and the router menus.
All4One
Grafter

If you've just reset once, shouldn't really see an issue. I was resetting and rebooting/reconnecting all yesterday and no issues.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Speed won't be affected unless you reset the modem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.