Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sync decrease after some months on trial

James
Grafter

Re: sync decrease after some months on trial

Hi John,
I've placed the order now to move it back to what it was on before.
Keep your fingers crossed.
lenseman
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi John,
I've placed the order now to move it back to what it was on before.
Keep your fingers crossed.

Hi James,
I am not sure if my connection is moved back yet but for the record nothing changed this end.
I raised a ticket asking if my connection was interleaved or banded, who ever dealt with the ticket took the usual course of action and basically seemed to point the finger at my equipment despite the fact that many more people on 21CN are suffering the same effect. This appears to not just be Plusnet customers, the only thing we all have in common is BT!
I think you have done all you can, I am losing interest in the whole thing and following almost three weeks of low speeds compared to what I was getting pre 21CN the only alternative left is to go forward with  LLU or cable.
Test results on the 12 Dec 2006, 0712hrs Sync speed 5568Kbps Actual Download Speed 4369Kbps.
Today's results at  0923hrs Sync speed 5003Kbps Actual Download Speed 3582Kbps.
Less than impressive isn't it.
Thanks again James but I think its time to call it a day.
John B.
James
Grafter

Hi John,
Keith tells me he's put in a call to BT to get your line to go through the training period again.
It might help but ultimately it's your choice what you do next.
lenseman
Grafter

Hi James,
I just got the message from Keith, I cant go anywhere until November due to my existing contract so I will see how it goes.
Thanks,
John B.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

When Max is quoted as "up to 8Mbits", what should 21CN be quoted as?
So far I've discovered it means "about 1-2Mbits less than max".
When the BT engineer comes round and I tell him I get 5Mbps one mile from the exchange,
what should his proper response be?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

lenseman
Grafter

Hi John,
Keith tells me he's put in a call to BT to get your line to go through the training period again.
It might help but ultimately it's your choice what you do next.

Hi James,
I now think that there is no choice left.
Just when I thought it could not get any worse I get this http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/04325131.png
What is happening? I am back to nearly dial up speeds and paying for the privilege.
This is no longer amusing. I now have a totally unusable connection.
John B.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Surely the thing to do here is to be taken off the trial and put back on to standard ADSL?
A thought, have you tried forcing your router to connect as ADSL not ADSL2?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
lenseman
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
A thought, have you tried forcing your router to connect as ADSL not ADSL2?

Hi Jelv,
I don't have a choice (as far as I know) My Router is a Netgear DG834N ADSL2+, supposed to be made for the job, all my PC's are fitted with 'N' adaptors or cards, So in theory the router 'should' cope with ADSL or ADSL2+ automatically. It did so fairly well until 25/6/2009 when for some reason my sync decreased by almost half and my downstream became erratic to say the least. There are no reported contention issues at my local exchange.
If I was the only one reporting this problem I could take it as a localised issue, but there are many reports of this from different ISP's customers the only common denominator appears to be BT. This leads me to think that LLU or cable may be the only answer, for some reason I used to be opposed to both.
Thanks for your input.
John B.
dusty_bin
Grafter

Probably under 'ADSL settings' and select 'ADSL (G.DMT)' rather than 'Auto (Multimode)'.  That's on my DG834, so I expect yours is similar.
As reported elsewhere, I was getting about double the sync speed on ADSL for a week or so....
lenseman
Grafter

Quote from: dusty_bin
Probably under 'ADSL settings' and select 'ADSL (G.DMT)' rather than 'Auto (Multimode)'.  That's on my DG834, so I expect yours is similar.
As reported elsewhere, I was getting about double the sync speed on ADSL for a week or so....

Hi Dusty,
On the DG834N there are no adjustments for ADSL apart from the most simple, it appears to be a unit dedicated to ADSL2+ that copes with ADSL with great LAN coverage.
My initial sync speeds after training on ADSL2+ were around double my ADSL, then like a lot of other people they dived to less than pre CN21.
It would appear that most thing are against me at the moment, I was in the middle of giving you a lengthy reply about the DG834N but we have just had a power cut and I lost it!
I am now just going to have a serious look at my ADSL (This = A Double Scotch + Lemonade ) before things annoy me.
Thanks for your input,
John B.
lenseman
Grafter

It is now nine days into the second ten day training period and there is no sign of my previous high speeds on ADSL2+, or even my old ADSL sync speeds.
My Plusnet profile is now 4000 on ADSL it was 4500 and on ADSL+2 it actually achieved a profile of 6500 for a while. my upload sync speed is still just above 1040 most of the time.
Once the honeymoon period is over and considering the amount of customers that are suffering the same problems, I can only suggest that either BT or Plusnet are directly responsible for the fall in sync and are not being 100% honest with us.
Maybe ADSL2+ should be marketed under a new name by dropping the plus and replacing with a minus.
John B.
grahamt
Rising Star

I very much doubt that it's Plusnet's fault. You only have to look at some of the other forums (e.g. on thinkbroadband) to know that the same things are happening to people connected to 21CN via other ISPs.
My best guess is a) the DLM software's got something wrong with it, b) BT knows this, and c) it will take some time to fix.
I'm not sure whether the DLM software was always this bad or whether some change was introduced around May - most of the serious throughput problems seem to have happened since then. However, this could just be because more people joined after a lot of exchanges were connected at the end of March.
Graham
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

My guess is that a lot of BT's wires are barely usable for ADSL1 ("MAX").
They are fooling themselves when they think they can get a bandwidth of 2MHz out of their telephone wires.
Infrastructure Cry

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."