Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switching to plusnet friday....

scottymc
Grafter

switching to plusnet friday....

Hi guys
I'm switching to plusnet, my switch over date is Friday, but I haven't received my router yet ..
Should I be worried
Cheers
Scott
6 REPLIES 6
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: switching to plusnet friday....

No, we aim to send it out so that it is there for your activation.
To save you worrying further though, I've arranged to have it posted today.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
scottymc
Grafter

Thank you
tony8436
Grafter

Take it from me, DON'T SWITCH!!!!, Not if you want to be able to use the internet.
mdc
Grafter

Judge the service based on your own experiences, not the accounts of others. There's a 14-day cooling off period on your contract anyway, so if you have any major issues you can always cancel and choose a different provider.
However, on the whole, BTW's DSLAMs (which are used by PlusNet) are a lot more reliable than other ISPs (to a fault - some people want bleeding-edge speed, such as myself, and the additional stability you get with BTW kit comes with a slight reduction in speed (1-2mbit at > 15mbps lines or thereabouts) in a lot of cases. It IS, however, still possible to push the BT kit to the max, you just need an extreme target SNR and to choose your modem carefully. These are the sort of things that the average consumer doesn't usually concern themselves with though.
As for "not being able to use the internet", I've had periods of disruption post-switchover, but I can safely say that they are NOTHING to do with PlusNet's end, and everything to do with a neighbour with some dodgy pieces of electronics which are knocking out my broadband. Something which can happen on any ISP, and were - in fact - even worse with my last one.
tony8436, I'm sorry that your experiences with PlusNet to date have disappointed you, but your reasons for leaving are somewhat confusing to me... you've stated in your other thread that the final straw was that they couldn't arrange an engineer visit for another 3 weeks at a time that was convenient for you... However, PlusNet don't have their own schedule for engineer visits; they have access to the same OpenReach booking system as every other ISP. The dates listed are the same across all broadband providers; Sky wouldn't be able to get you one out any quicker.
Personally, I've never had to wait more than 2-3 days for an engineer visit, and I've had over a dozen of them in the past 9 months I was with Sky; all of whom said the line was perfect, and passed the problem back to Sky, who just passed it to OpenReach again. I expect to have another engineer out in the next week or so to help sort this REIN issue out, which has been narrowed down and finally shows a potential for resolution thanks in no small part to members on this forum and PlusNet's CSR team.
Anyway, instead of being vindictive towards PlusNet - who are most likely not responsible for the problems you're having - and trying to scare potential (or new) customers away, it might be better to divert some of that time and energy towards resolving your own broadband issue.
Just my two pence.
tony8436
Grafter

BTW's Equipment is not more reliable as I am experiencing daily drop outs, a problem I never had with Sky.  If PN had arranges an engineer visit within the first 2 months of this ongoing problem, it may well have been quicker, but it took 2 months of "turn the router off and on again" and "connect to the master socket" before they considered this. Once they finnaly realised that an engineer was needed it was too late. I could have got a day off work in the 2 months of problems, but now can't get a day off until end of March apart from weekends.
As for diverting some of my energy towards resolving my own broadband issues, I would happily do that but OR wont let me into the exchange.
I feel it is only fair to warn new or potential customers of the incompetence I have experienced from PN. I know that occasionally they do get it right and have some happy customers, but when they get it wrong, they cock up big time.
mdc
Grafter

Going to continue this in your original thread, if you don't mind Smiley