cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suddenly my nntp traffic is being shaped/managed on fibre unlimited???

bez
Grafter

suddenly my nntp traffic is being shaped/managed on fibre unlimited???

started off reduced (and when i say reduced i mean hard capped, not wavering up and down) to 50mb from 72mb then reduced to 37mb then by the end of the day it was hard capped at roughly 6mb. I keep being told by the support staff that no traffic management is in place on the fibre unlimited package...
i tested on 2 pc's both connected via ethernet and afer completing the speedtests and modem/router tests for plusnet staff was told they didnt have an explanation why its happening.
this morning im back at 37mb cap, im guessing it will reduce as the day goes on again.
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: suddenly my nntp traffic is being shaped/managed on fibre unlimited???

There are no rate limits on the Unlimited package.
We did see similar during out testing of the product but we narrowed that down to the Usenet provider slowing us down without telling us, switching to a different provider resolved the problems. Have you tried contacting your Usenet provider at all?
Are your speeds on everything else still normal during these slowdown periods? Or could something else be using your bandwidth on your network which may be causing the slowdowns?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bez
Grafter

speeds on http traffic appear to be normal, and to rule out the usenet provider i tried my account on a friends pc and the speed was full.
the speedtests ive done for the plusnet staff have been eratic, first one came back at 37mb, this was while my nntp was  also showing this speed, then i tested again and the speed showed 70mb but the nntp traffic remained slow. this same thing happened a few times when running the tests, for example when the nntp looked to be capped at 6-7mb the first speedtest showed 6.7mb speed result, followed by a second showing full speed.
shalom2010
Grafter

Chris - this is an issue again. It was there in March, went away and come back again. My nntp provider is Newsleecher and I can assure you there are no speed issues their end (their forums would be full of complaints). If I change the location of the server from Europe to USA (port 563) the speed increases from :
Before 5pm daily - 20 Mbps (Europe) 55 Mbps (USA)
After 5pm daily - 1 to 10 Mbps (Europe) 45-48 Mbps (USA)
Last week on the European server I had line speed 24 hours a day!
Chris
Legend

If I change the location of the server from Europe to USA (port 563) the speed increases from

That says to me that it *is* the usenet provider then? Or am I misreading it?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bez
Grafter

just switched from my european server to US server and the same thing happened, suddenly the speed increased to full speed, VERY odd as me and shalom2010 are using totally different usenet providers on totally different servers?Huh
Chris
Legend

Bob tried 4 or 5 different providers and got similar results at varying times of the day, completely irrespective of the traffic management profile on his account, we tried removing the traffic management completely too and still saw the same slowdowns.
He also noticed that if PAR files were needed to complete the download, this could cause the downloads to slowdown due to the program he was using hammering his CPU and causing the PC to not handle everything at once.
bez
Grafter

as long as this US ssl server gives me full speed Im a happy chappy, but the fact that the speedtest results mirrored the speeds i was getting on usenet, even if only initially showing the same result seems to indicate that the reduced speed is coming from the line?
usenet showed roughly 37mb speed cap and the first bt speedtest brought back the same result of 37mb, when the speed had dropped further down to roughly 7mb on usenet the first speedtest showed a line speed  of 6.7mb, both of these results were sent to the server and seen by plusnet staff who couldnt understand/explain the results. (the staff i spoke to were very friendly and helpful but ultimately unable to resolve the issue)
gaz31
Dabbler

bez having the same problems has you, but my providers status page is is saying there as been a transatlantic fibre cable cut and will
take a few days to fix.
Could be why you are having problems as both our providers are both UNS resellers.
shalom2010
Grafter

Well I'm not sure where the nntp servers with newsleecher from, but I have now run several tests during the last hour and am getting around 95% full speed from US servers, but only around 40% speed from European servers.
gaz31
Dabbler

Sorry shalom i am getting you and bez mixed up, its mine and and your providers that are both UNS resellers.
Could be why US connection is fine and EU connection is very slow.
Going to stay with the US connection until the service status changes and then see what happens.

shalom2010
Grafter

gaz31 - Could you post the link to the server status page?
I have now spotted on the newsleecher forum that there are slowdowns on the European server, so that explains things. Sorry, Plusnet, looks like you were not to blame!
shalom2010
Grafter

From the newsleecher website:
"May 15, 2013
Due to technical issues, some customers using our European Usenet access servers, might experience that download speed isn't optimal at the moment.
We are working hard on getting the problem fixed."
andy0073

my Usenet provider also has been halved throughout the day and just checking again at this time @0115 and and it is maxing out at 70mbps.
using astraweb and noticed this a few days ago but checked again to find same.
will be checking in the daytime now.