cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stuck bt ip profile - idle thoughts

Roswellgrey
Grafter

stuck bt ip profile - idle thoughts

I have ( and have had for years )  an extremely solid 8mbit (adsl max) connection.
The normal BT and PN IP profiles are around 7mbit ( as expected).
At the moment, the BT IP profile is "stuck" at 2mbit. The PN one is still around 7mbit .
I cannot be sure of the cause of this, and I suspect it had been that way for quite a few days ...
However to confuse the issue - in the last 24hrs my router has been rebooting quite a few times (software bug)
A call to support resulted in the fact that these reboots are probably the cause of the current 2mbit BT IP profile, and I should wait for 72 hrs for it to sort itself out.
This got me thinking - if uncontrolled router reboots can cause this reduction in the BT IP profile, why do people who turn on/off their routers daily (via the power switch)  not suffer the same problem ?
Just wondered ...
6 REPLIES 6
lexusuk
Grafter

Re: stuck bt ip profile - idle thoughts

Hi Roswellgrey,
Please see your connection logs for the last 7 days or so:

You can see that your connect has been stable until 14/08/11 where we then start to see some intermittency.  This will be the cause of the IP profile dropping to 2Mbps.  Bear in mind that this image shows both drop outs in connection and the router being rebooted by yourself.
The line management systems at your local exchange look for (among other things) the frequency of disconnections.  Turning off once at night would not trigger any negative line adjustments however 10 disconnections in an hour would.
As advised by our technical support staff your line profile should return to normal providing your line remains stable and connected.
Roswellgrey
Grafter

Thanks, Alex. 
The disconnect frequency is more than I realised  Shocked  so it makes more sense ....
Will have to see if it recoveres by itself ( unless you could instigate a retrain  / reset ?  - had to ask .... )
lexusuk
Grafter

Even if I were to reset the line it would likely take the same amount of time to recover.  Once reset the bRAS system configures the line profile to 2000kbps initially anyway and then trains upwards over a similar period.
Roswellgrey
Grafter

Fair enough - many thanks for the reply .....  Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

To respond to the initial musing, you are generally advised to leave your router on all the time to avoid switching it off being misconstrued as a line fault.  I suspect that switching it off once a day is below the threshold where the DLM would notice/care.  Some people are still using the old broadband modems that were supplied originally and which go on and off every time the computer goes on and off - goodness knows what the DLM makes of those.

The other advantage of switching off your router overnight is that if something bad like a burst of noise occurs then you are not going to wake up in the morning to find your IP Profile is at near zero.
Roswellgrey
Grafter

I know of people who switch the router off when not in use, as they do with all their "unused" electrical equipment. ( not for the good reason as you say - overnight noise  )
"switch off" means just that - power kill.  No chance for a negotiated disconnect , and this could easily happen quite a few times per day ...  
Luck of the draw whether is causes a profile reduction I suppose....
I had forgotton all about the "dial on demand" bb modems - if they gracefully disconnect they should be ok, but if not .... eek

It is a pita when your router gets its knickers in such a knot that accessing the web configuration causes a reboot (even after a reflash, cleanse and reconfigure ) and you stupidly persevere with it trying to save it from being thrown out of the window.
Whilst I always appreciated that sync speed, noise , SnR ratios, bit errors and others can ultimately effect the BT IP profile, it didn't click at the time that a flurry of abrupt router reboots would have the same effect . Oh well - lesson learned ...