cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stormy weather

valart
Grafter

stormy weather

My BT Voyager 210 has been behaving itself for the last 10 days the weather became stormy this afternoon black clouds and rain I noticed that my internet light had dropped while my pc was switched off,could the weather have something to do with it because I switched off and on the router  and it is back to normal
5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: stormy weather

It's probably almost definitely the entire reason.
MickKi
Grafter

We experienced thunderstorms earlier over here (Bucks/Herts) and lightning can definitely drop the line (electromagnetic intereference).  If it is repeated a few times in short succession, then the BT equipment will kick in and most likely drop your speed/IP Profile.  If it is really bad it can take weeks to recover.  Under such circumstances it may be better to switch off the router/modem and wait it out.
--
Regards,
Mick
artificer
Grafter

lightning can also fritz your gear.  i lost a monitor power supply and a motherboard went faulty in one storm and in another, a friends telephone, television and router had burned out circuits, rendering them defunct.  lightning can be deadly to electronic equipment.  the fastest i move is at the first rumble of thunder when i scramble to shutdown all my computer equipment and take the plug out of the wall socket.
MickKi
Grafter

After losing a dialup modem and a PC power supply to lightning I made sure I never connect anything to the telephone and power lines without a surge protector.  I have been through some thunderstorms over the last years and so far have not suffered any more damage.
--
Regards,
Mick
LordFox
Rising Star

About five years ago I was standing at the window watching a storm, when lightning hit the telephone pole 15 feet in front of me.
When I got up again, my second thought was to check my kit. Modem/router, two switches and one PC dead.
We recently moved to live on a hillside, near the top. We get some really good storms here...
I work as a network and server engineer, mainly in schools. One day I was asked to stay in a school the following day to 'keep an eye on things' as they were being inspected and didn't have an on-site technician. Overnight they were hit by lightning... Killed practically every piece of networking kit in the place and melted a few sockets. Timing or what...
I was thinking the other day about putting a wireless bridge between my 'phone line and the rest of my kit - got too much now to want to lose it again. Seriously!
Rick.