cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stability

monkey001
Grafter

stability

Getting disgusting ping/dropouts the last couple of day and my upload as been dropping to 100kb cant someone look at it not wasting my time with a ticket as it take to long to get an answer.
29 REPLIES 29
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Re: stability

Fast service is got by calling.
You may or may not get a response here, and if you do, it may be soon or in a few days.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: monkey001
cant someone look at it

If you want help from PN staff, then they'll probably be back on here on Monday morning... and they're the only ones who can "look at it" with no more info in the post.
I suspect that when they get here, they'll point at the same initial troubleshooting procedures, and a fault being raised.
As 44D says, the fastest response will probably be by calling.
If you want help from any of the other users infesting the forums, then post some more information about the problem. The line statistics from the router would be a good start...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI monkey001,
I've noticed you have not called us or raised a ticket. Are you still having problems?
Jojo Smiley
monkey001
Grafter

Hi Jojo yeah still having them come home to find my router stats at
DownStream Connection Speed 2688 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 352 kbps
problem is with upstream anything to do with the upgraded upload that is on the line and it is normally around 750kb ?Huh
Ping has been all over the shop aswell.
attached router stats.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Does Routerstats show the noise margin per tone with that router.
If so can you post the Bits and SNR per Tone Graph
monkey001
Grafter

This it ?
having to restart router to get upload increased 😕
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Thought so - you almost certainly have a cross talk problem probably at the exchange and it will be an absolute pig to get it sorted.
I fought that one for over a year and eventually gave up.
Then I was moved over to 21CN which was a different board in the exchange and this was the change.
These pictures are from DMT but you can see the shape.
Also the second picture is from Routerstats to show what it should look like
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI monkey001,
I think the first thing you should do is raise a fault so we can start investigating this thoroughly for you.
Jojo Smiley
monkey001
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Thought so - you almost certainly have a cross talk problem probably at the exchange and it will be an absolute pig to get it sorted.
I fought that one for over a year and eventually gave up.
Then I was moved over to 21CN which was a different board in the exchange and this was the change.
These pictures are from DMT but you can see the shape.
Also the second picture is from Routerstats to show what it should look like

Thank you i knew i always had a problem just no one believed me.
Now what the hell is cross talk lol?
And there will be no way of me switching to 21cn date isn't even there at the exchange Sad

Will do Jojo
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim

Which aspect of the graphs is most indicative of crosstalk?
My guess would be the gradual increase in #bits in the downstream tones (in the before graph), while it immediately starts high (at the lowest downstream tone) in the after-graph.
Now what the hell is cross talk lol?

In voice days, it would be when you could hear your neighbours talking on the phone line. In DSL days, it is the interference of your DSL signal by other DSL customers. After all - every single customer is trying to use the same frequencies, on copper lines that are carried in bundles. As the bundles gradually get more DSL customers ("cable fill"), so each individual line sees more interference from other DSL lines.
Plusnet Customer
monkey001
Grafter

So my chances of getting this fixed are slim then?
btw raised a ticket to which the answer was
We have asked our wholesale broadband suppliers to turn interleaving on on your phone line to try and fix your current broadband problem.
Interleaving is a form of error correction that helps to improve the stability of high-speed broadband. One drawback of interleaving is that it can increase ping times, which may cause problems for online gamers.
We think that turning on interleaving may help with your connection problems. Interleaving usually takes 24 hours to turn on, but can take up to 5 days to take effect.
If interleaving solves your problem, please close this Question. If you are still seeing problems with interleaving switched on, please return this Question to us with as much detail about your problem as possible. Thank you for your time and patience.
Kind regards
Plusnet Customer Support

Interleaving is already on 😕
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Basically something is mucking up the upper end of the upstream frequencies and the lower end of the downstream frequencies.
So something is putting out interference in those frequency bands.
As mine was fixed by moving to a different board in the exchange and before that the problem was very intermittent I assumed that something on the original board was creating interference and that this was cross talk from some other line or lines on the board.
It should have been fixable by a lift and shift but Plusnet could never persuade BT Openreach to do it.
At that time neither I nor Plusnet was aware of the significance of the bits per tone graph
monkey001
Grafter

shocking upload and ping tonite.
Phone through got told basically to change filter (which did help upload).
ping chart from think broadband.
WWWombat
Grafter

So my chances of getting this fixed are slim then?

Its probably back to first steps here, just to be sure... We need to rule out that the interference is coming from your internal wiring, or any phone you have connected.
Where is your router plugged in to the phone line? What extension lines do you have, and what other devices are plugged in to the phone line?
Can you give us a set of router statistics that come from the existing location; then plug the router into the test socket (at the back of the master socket) alone (ie nothing else plugged into the line) and do another set.
Plusnet Customer