cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ssh speeds

ukweb

ssh speeds

posting this here.....might have more joy as plusnet support is dead. Its nearly 24hrs since emailing.
hi, i'm trying to access a server which runs secure ftp and connections over ssh.
standard ftp is very insecure and sends account passwords by plain text. On another connection ssh is fast, connects instantly, at home via plusnet its sluggish, slow and takes AGES to connect then uploads very slow. Its a non standard port.
If I play around with the connection abit, disconnecting and reconnecting it suddenly goes fast.
5 REPLIES 5
Cromocon
Dabbler

Re: ssh speeds

Yes, they throttle non-standard ports. I have a couple of servers running sshd on an unusual port. I have to connect to them from a BSD box listening on port 22 because otherwise the latency is pathetic.
Your only choice is to tunnel traffic or migrate to a different ISP.
ukweb

Thanks for confirming Cromocon. Soon as I posted on this forum they replied to my ticket!
Strangely enough too...my ssh speeds and sftp connection instantly connected and uploads fine. Very odd.
They told me I need to move to business broadband but I'm only at home because of the snow, like many. What annoys me is I pay the same for 0.5mb as someone else pays for 8mb (and downloads movies eating bandwidth and network load)... yet I'm a low user paying the same and they throttle me for connecting to SSH and uploading a few files.
I'm still on the old broadband my way option 2 and it says 'unrestricted' for other traffic all day... hmm.
I wonder how many other isp's throttle non-standard ports. I'm moving house soon so will research Virgin Media and some others, thats available where I'm moving to.
prichardson
Grafter

It is indeed the case that we do not apply priority to non-standard SSH ports. This also applies on our Business range of products, though these do offer the best priority to traffic on protocols associated with business use.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I was under the impression that there was no throttling of uploads on any product on any protocol.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ukweb

So was I...problem I have is, I can't even get a connection via Dreamweaver without trying and trying, and disconnecting, reconnecting, til it feels like going faster all of the sudden.
And thats before I even start to upload!
Moving to business broadband doesn't sound any better.....and that's not something I should have to do anyway. That's for business users.
The thing which really annoys me about broadband in the UK is fairness. Joe Bloggs can download movies etc etc, and pay £14.99/month for 8mb... and someone like me can't even connect to ssh, I get just 0.5mb and max 3-4gb /month useage. OH yeh and I also pay £14.99! Postcode broadband.