cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

splitting networking cable 1 into 3 devices

totalguy
Grafter

splitting networking cable 1 into 3 devices

i got my router to the right of me right over at the end of my long desk. i got a tv a ps3 and a sky box to the left of me
i want to connect the tv ps3 and sky box to the internet but i dont want 3 long cables from my router to each device.
all my router ports are taken and at present there is 1 cat 5 cable from the router and in the vercinity of the tv ps3 and skybox.
can i get some sort of junction box or splitter that doersnt need power? (like a printer switchbox, which i have one of already plug printer into box then route usb cables to each computer).
the tv ps3 and skybox will not be run together, only 1 of these devices will be run at any given time. i dont want to swap the network cable over to each device its too much hassle especially the ps3 and sky box being in a unit and tight area to be working in to just swap a cable over.
10 REPLIES 10
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: splitting networking cable 1 into 3 devices

Plenty of 4-port manual RJ45 switch boxes on eBay.
BUT a powered network switch is actually cheaper.  Wink
totalguy
Grafter

thanks............. its not cheaper though because it will cost you in electricity and it needs an extra plug too Smiley
dick:quote
totalguy
Grafter

found 1 not much different to my printer/usb switch box this will do me Smiley http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Port-8P8C-RJ45-Manual-Sharing-Switch-Box-MT-RJ45-4-/300732046473?pt=UK_C...
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If you're happy to wait a month for it to arrive from HK.  Lips_are_sealed
Pyrii
Grafter

I have a couple of D-link gigabit switches which do me just fine. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00022V2DA/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes you need another plug, but that's the rub with ethernet. Even if it was powered by your PC< it's still drawing more power, except through your PC instead.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

1 cable to 2 devices is possible using splitters but 3 ways? Nope unless you use a hub/switch or a manual selection box.
Personally I just use a 5 port hub, draws very little power and is quite small.
totalguy
Grafter

i dont mind waiting i havent got my smart tv yet so im not going to do it yet.
the said cable near tv is direct from the router which is always powered on anyway so barely going to make a difference compared to having an extra plug.
it wont be split 3 way as such if i use a manual splitter box as i linked above iwill use it to 1 device at a time.
i will have a smart tv so ill use that when i want to and then theres the ps3 that will be used when its on so it will be just the ps3 or theres the sky box which will be used for iplayer etc in my bedroom i.e. i can access on demand through my sky box into my bedroom.
i have an old sky eye going upto my bedroom because either livingroom tv or bedroom tv is used (not both together) ive no need for an extra sky box plus id rather not pay for a box im not going to use.
NedLudd
Grafter

I have splitters in use but they still need two ports on the router!
All they do is enable one cable to carry two ports worth of data simultaneously by using two of the pairs.
Even if there was a three way, you would still need 3 ports on the router.
A cheap switch is the answer!
Geoff,
York.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

There are splitters that will allow you to use 2 devices on 1 port, but the idle device has to be powered off or it interferes.
I used the 2-1-2 splitters when I had 2 devices downstairs, now I use a 5port switch.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I believe a netgear switch is the best! It processes information more quickly.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up