cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speedtouch 780 - setting up [SOLVED] thanks folks

artificer
Grafter

speedtouch 780 - setting up [SOLVED] thanks folks

having heard y'all praising the speedtouch routers, i did a bid-and-forget on ebay and got me the one in the header for a fiver.  only thing amiss with it is that the aerial appears to be busted, but i never use wifi, so that's not an issue.  i might even be able to glue it back together.
not thinking i'd need to connect to the dsl line, i plugged in just the ethernet cable, hauled up a browser and got an error message from the router, to the effect that my dsl line appears unconnected, please rectify and try again.
i am currently connected with a netgear dg834g and my broadband experience over the last month or so has become increasingly dire, yet the testers show healthy speeds.  yesterday it got really bad and i pulled the power plug on the router.  today it seems reasonably stable.
what i need to know is: can i plug an ethernet cable into the netgear and the speedtouch to get at the setup of the latter?  will this work?
8 REPLIES 8
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: speedtouch 780 - setting up

With only the Speedtouch connected you should be able to get to the router configuration mamagement pages using the address below in your browser. Ignore any 'Cannot connect' type messages.
http://192.168.1.254/
My other car isn't a Ferrari
artificer
Grafter

thanks maranello.  i'll try that and come back.
update:  i can get in with that ip, but it doesn't allow me to enter my @plusdsl, etc., info.  seems it must be connected to the telephone line.
back to the question:  can i piggy-back on the netgear router, or should i plug straight into the telephone socket?
James
Grafter

Sounds like the router is locked to a different supplier.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Sorry artificer, reached the bounds of my knowledge I'm afraid.
You could try a reset to factory settings. I'm guessing that you didn't get a CD containing a user manual. Try googling for one, might tell you more.
If it is locked as Jameseh suggests, again a google search might produce a result.
Wish you luck.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
James
Grafter

You might also be able to find a way of unlocking it on Google Smiley
artificer
Grafter

presumably pressing the reset button to return to factory settings will not be enough to unlock it?
James
Grafter

That's very unlikely I'm afraid.
artificer
Grafter

well, james.  having properly scared me, it would appear that it is not locked. *phew, relieved*  i plugged an ethernet cable from the netgear to the speedtouch and it promptly offered me the setup pages, where is was able to enter my details.
the next snag i've encountered is the voip registrar.  it demands this and will not proceed.  what do i need to put in those boxes?
edit:  think i've found what i need:
Broadband Phone/VoIP settings
Registrar: sip.plus.net
Proxy Server: sip.plus.net
Registrar Port: 5060
Proxy Port: 5060
Expire Time: 3600
SIP URI: Your Broadband Phone SIP / VoIP Telephone number eg 123456
Username: Your Broadband Phone Username / VoIP username eg 123456
Password: Your password
please correct me if i'm wrong.
edit1:  yep, that did it.  it's all working now.  thanks very much for all your help.