cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed

BLINDPEW
Grafter

speed

My sync speed is 7616 my broadband speed shows has 6500 on my connections page but I can only get a max speed of 3500. Any help or advice would be welcome to increasing the speed.
30 REPLIES 30
ed
Grafter

Re: speed

My tips...
don't connect to an extension lead connect to the master socket
adsl filter in front of every phone
don't let the modem cable trail over your power cable
never ever line share, if there are not enough telegraph poles in your street ask BT to put a new one in (prefebly not infornt of your house :P)
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: ed
My tips...
don't connect to an extension lead connect to the master socket

What would you say is the maximun cable run you should have from modem or router to the master socket to benefit from the direct connection? Do you mean the test socket?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
ed
Grafter

The shorter the better. I doubt it's shielded from electronic interference so the longer it is the more line noise you're going to be adding.
fceluk
Grafter

If possible it's usually better on long runs to position the modem/router near the master socket and run the distance to the PC with an ethernet cable as ethernet can stand much longer runs without seriously degrading the signal.
Dick
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: fceluk
... ethernet can stand much longer runs without seriously degrading the signal.
Dick
Although Ethernet is not subject to degrading to the extent of phone cable, is there a limit after which you would not go?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Ethernet should not be run longer than 100m, although the shorter the better (for obvious reasons). 100m is the maximum length defined in the specification.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: BLINDPEW
My sync speed is 7616 my broadband speed shows has 6500 on my connections page but I can only get a max speed of 3500.

What does a speedtest here tell you? It's the IP Profile that I'm interested in.
Any help or advice would be welcome to increasing the speed.

Check to see if the VPs at your exchange are contended.
It's also worth you reviewing your MTU/RWIN settings.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

BLINDPEW
Grafter

Here are my stats from the BT speed testerTest1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3618 kbps
May I also add that my router is connected into the master socket via a filter and is approx 1 foot away from the master socket. I also get the same speedtest results plugged into the test socket.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That looks pretty normal.
What about your exchange congestion and MTU/RWIN settings?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

BLINDPEW
Grafter

I have run Dr tcp and my settings are ok. But I am on vista and so I think that your best off leaving your settings alone and letting the O.S sort it. But I have also got a laptop running on XP and I'm getting same speeds (3600) and mtu settings OK on that too.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Exchange congestion?
Also, how is it you're establishing your download speed? Using an online speedtester?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

BLINDPEW
Grafter

Date Download Speed Upload Speed 
Today 20:04 3792 kbps (474 KB/s) 325 kbps (40.6 KB/s)
Not sure I know what you mean about exchange congestion but when I go on the link you gave me everything shows has green and ok
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Both download and upload speed are less than I would expect them to be.  Normally upload speed doesn't vary much and I would expect your value to be about 380kbps measured using the mybroadbandspeed tester.
What model of modem/router do you use and how do your PC and laptop connect to it?  What are your line stats (sync speeds, noise margins and attenuations - downstream and upstream)?
My feeling is that diagnosing speed related problems on the XP laptop is less of a black art than on Vista.  Is the router MTU compatible with the MTU on the laptop?
Could you run a tweaktest using the laptop at DSLreports and post the results URL you'll be given (in small letters near the bottom of the page)?  The graphs in the more-details section of that sometimes give clues to help understand what goes on during data transfer.
David
BLINDPEW
Grafter

I use a speedtouch 780wl and I am connected wirelessly to both pc and laptop has my router is connected directly into the master socket so I don't have any extention wiring. I can't seem to get the tweaktester up at the moment but I'll keep trying. Here are my line stats. 
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 12:40:54

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,616

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2.56 / 12.26

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 41.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 7.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0