Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed issues!

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: speed issues!

I believe the two mybroadbandspeed servers are currently in Sheffield but moving them to London is intended.  I assume they would then become officially live and replace the current tester on the portal.  Perhaps PN would provide an update on plans.
For me (7648sync, 6500kbps profile) mybroadbandspeed (MBBS) gives 6145kbps download but thinkbroadband (TBB) 5975kbps.  The former test is much shorter than the latter so, in principle the latter should be more robust.  However the data-rate shown by DU Meter is identical in each case.  The difference may be that TBB reports an average speed whereas MBBS gives a peak value - I'm not sure whether this is the case.
David
James
Grafter

I'll try and find out what the latest is on this.
I believe it got set back because of our 90 day project following on from the webmail incident.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: spraxyt

For me (7648sync, 6500kbps profile) mybroadbandspeed (MBBS) gives 6145kbps download but thinkbroadband (TBB) 5975kbps. 

Also the graph needs extending.  After the excellent work you did in getting my speed up spraxyt, it's not possible to read the values when you hover over them.
The graph finishes at 5500kbps.
Boy, you're getting some good speeds.  Do you live in the telephone exchange Wink
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: artmo
Also the graph needs extending.  After the excellent work you did in getting my speed up spraxyt, it's not possible to read the values when you hover over them.  The graph finishes at 5500kbps.

Sorry, I don't follow this - what graph are you referring to?
Boy, you're getting some good speeds.  Do you live in the telephone exchange Wink

Samknows reckons I'm 926m from the exchange straight-line, which seems about right.  I guess this means 1300m line length assuming the line follows the roads - 0.8 miles in a more meaningful unit.  Attenuation is 33dB.  I can sync at 8128kbps during the day but smaller SNR margins at night result in sync reducing to what I have now.  I leave it at that to avoid ups and downs.
I'm currently test-driving a BT Voyager 210 router like you have but connected using Ethernet rather than USB.  USB is known to give slower speeds, though I don't have a feel for the typical impact (or whether tuning can reduce the impact).
I worked through the RWIN/MTU saga as you have to get my speeds up, though doing it using hints in other posts under my own steam, so to speak, since I have the background knowledge.
I purposely haven't previously quoted my speeds to you, since I didn't want you to be disappointed at "only" 5000kbps (from 3000kbps start).  I'm conscious that you seem to have been doing an abundance of speed and tweak tests at my behest, might be wondering when it would end.  Now I have the 210 I intend to try it using the USB connection so that I can get a feel for any impact on speeds.
David
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Sorry, I don't follow this - what graph are you referring to?
On the Mybroadband Speed tester there's a facility to view your results in graph form.

Samknows reckons I'm 926m from the exchange straight-line, which seems about right. 

I'm not complaining at what you got for me on speed.  For the type of use I have that's great.
I'm about the same distance (930m) as you from my exchange according to dslzoneUK.  I'd be interested in your findings once you've done your test drive.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Ah, I think that's an easy one - the Y-axis scales to cover the range to be displayed.  In my case the maximum is 6500 but there are still 10 divisions so each one represents 650.  The X-axis is sample number rather than date-time based, but date-time values are marked for each sample.
As you said data-points aren't displayed when one hovers over them, but the values are tabulated further down the page.  It's a simple graph, but in my view quite suitable to show any trends.
David
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: James

It's sat on nice shiny hardware in Sheffield and just needs moving to London and plumbing it.  Been waiting for that move since Februrary.  I'll chase personally today as I'm a bit fed up of waiting!  Angry
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Kelly
Quote from: James

It's sat on nice shiny hardware in Sheffield and just needs moving to London and plumbing it.    Angry

As a matter of interest why does it have to move to London?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

…I'd be interested in your findings once you've done your test drive.

I've posted comprehensive details of ad-hoc speedtests using the Voyager 210 router in the PlusNet Usergroup forums ("Results from ad-hoc speedtests comparing Ethernet and USB connections").  The summary paragraphs most relevant to your USB set-up are as follows:
"Comparing USB and Ethernet connections shows USB is around 600-650kbps slower than Ethernet with MTU=1400 but the difference reduces to 300-350kbps with MTU=1500.
Comparing MTU=1400 and MTU=1500 shows little variation for the Ethernet connection but using USB the larger MTU improves throughput by around 300kbps".
Would you like to try MTU=1500 to see what you get?
(I assume guidance on making the changes might be needed; I'll be out now until late evening.)
David
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

As a matter of interest why does it have to move to London?

The connection between  the customer and the internet is in London.  To host the servers in Sheffield means adding that extra loop in whcih, in busy times, could conceivably effect the quality of the result, and possibly the performance of the network!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks Kelly.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

…I'd be interested in your findings once you've done your test drive.

Would you like to try MTU=1500 to see what you get?
(I assume guidance on making the changes might be needed; I'll be out now until late evening.)

Thanks for the information.  Yes, I would like to see what I can get by increasing MTU to 1500. Can I put it on hold for a while.  I leave for the US early Tuesday and running a bit tight on time.  I'll be in touch when I return if that's OK.  I'm due back around 14th October.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

…I would like to see what I can get by increasing MTU to 1500. Can I put it on hold for a while.  I leave for the US early Tuesday and running a bit tight on time.

That's fine, best not to rush things when timescales are tight.
Enjoy your holiday!  Grin
David
doomreaper
Grafter

hrm, every month now i suddednly start getting very slow speeds during the day.
my 8meg (6900) line drops to around a mere 2000. i notify force9 who say nothings wrong, then next day all is back to normal.
It has started this again yesterday. today i am registering a mere 436 line,, i think since these speeds are during 'peek' hours i am being throttled by someone!! yet i have never reached near any limits, not been told or even warned i may be .. i think i am not happy
James
Grafter

Hi there,
There's no throttling going on at this end.
Do you know what speed your router is gaining synchronisation with the exchange at?  I'm afraid that I'm not able to see this information without your raising a fault with us.