cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed instability on plusnet pro.

chrislea

speed instability on plusnet pro.

just a quick one here i,m on the pro package but speeds a regulaly dropping by up too 2 meg a second is this normal, if so could save myself a fiver a month and go back to the standard service. thanks for any advice.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: speed instability on plusnet pro.

The pro package has no effect on speed tests only on protocols which are traffic managed.such as download sites, download servers, P2P and possibly unrecognised games
matt_2k34
Grafter

can you give a bit more information please?
What package are you on?
How fast do you get?
What is your sync speed of the router?
What do you mean "drops by 2mbps?" - we talking you get 10meg in the day and 8meg between 5pm and 10pm?Huh
PRO gives you the best priority over the Plusnet network, Plusnet cant do anything about excessive congestion across the BT exchange (which would be what is happening if the above is true)
Regards
chrislea

ok does that mean regardless what the speedtest shows me if i'm gaming or streaming and downloading the speed will remain constant and what it should be.
chrislea

i'm on plusnet pro up to 20meg
i usually recieve 4.5 meg
bt speed test says my line is 7.20 meg
not sure what you mean by sync speed sorry, tonight its been around 1.80 to 2.10 meg. current speed test shows 3.60 meg.
i accept what you say about bt conjestion makes sence i just never seen it dip like that before.
thanks for the replies its been a great help stay with pro it is.

niko
Grafter

what speed tester are you useing ?
theres been a problem with a couple of them recently ,
could it be your speed is fine and its just the tester giving false results or are you noticeing slowdowns
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This is how to get the information we need to help in diagnosis http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
chrislea

so far bt speedtester and speedtest.net, youtube was a little slower at the time but is ok now.
niko
Grafter

try running speedtest.net 3 times in a row and see if all the results are the same ,ive had results varying from 500 to 5000 and iam on a 2500 profile
bt speed tester seems a bit off at times since the upgrade was done on it about a week or two ago
the other thing to try is when you get a slow result try to download a file and see what sort of speed you get
it might be a problem with your adsl but its good to eliminate strange speed test reding 1st