Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed faster with previous ISP

TORPC
Grafter

Re: speed faster with previous ISP

Thanks ejs
In that case now I am on the 3db, could I still request uncapping of my upstream without it compromising the downstream, summing up what the CSC analyst stated earlier, take from downstream to add to upstream.
and fixed interleaving would create more errored seconds as my line is to long to handle it
I have already proved my line can handle more than the conservative estimate of between 3 - 9 Mbps, albeit on a 6db profile on the LLU system in the same exchange and line to the street cabinet  and the same netgear router
as
I was clearly reaching 13Mbps and in comparison with IPstream being slower, therefore would I be wrong to expect at least 9 - 10 Mbps on IPstream on a 6db profile 
I will reboot the router at the optimised time as soon as I can  to see what it will sync at in comparison
Current DSLstats reported stats
adslctl info --stats
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 444 Kbps, Downstream rate = 9502 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode:                  ADSL2+
Channel:                Fast
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):      3.1            13.1
Attn(dB):      48.5            26.5
Pwr(dBm):      20.8            12.0
Max(Kbps):      11332          20659
Rate (Kbps):    9502            444
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
The BT speedtester result could just be wrong, but I would be interested in seeing the ADSL sync speeds and stats, and also the Plusnet Current Line Speed.

Here are the Plusnet Current Line Speed. you asked for
Phone exchange:
Estimated line speed:
   6Mb (This may vary between 3Mb and 9Mb) - Checked on 2013-11-15 20:15:23
Current line speed:
   21 Mb

As we have seen above I had a Grade *B and the packet loss could not be tested on the 6db profile with
Here are the http://www.pingtest.net results on the 3db profile

Grade D above on the 6db profile with http://www.speedtest.net
Here is the 3db http://www.speedtest.net result

TORPC
Grafter

thesawdust
Grafter

have you dropped speed again?  Huh
TORPC
Grafter

No just had the profile change from 6db to 3db and the speed has increased  Wink and so far no issues to report  Smiley
The only issue is that I am still getting slower speeds than I was with my previous ISP and PN wont take it serious enough to get BT involved
Although
It is clear what my achievable speeds are from the http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ screenshots.
I do not expect to get the full 21Mbps however that would be a super nice miracle,
Although
I do expect to get as near to my previous ISP speeds as is feasibly possible
The previous screenshot was taken just before 3am where speed always drops 1-3 Mb overnight and resumes back to normal after 09:00am
steveuk
Grafter

I know that BT checker keeps saying about the max achievable being 21Mbps but no matter what bt or plusnet do you realy are not going to see much more speed if any at all and defo wont see 21Mbps with the line stats you posted.

The max speed i could ever get when i was with o2 was 17Mbps with a 3db setting but the main diff for me is i had a lower attenuation of 24.3DB, Now seeing as yours is like 48ish your lucky to get the speed you do.
There are people with the same sort of stats as yourself but they get a much lower speeds.
I also would not see any speed improvment if i had left o2 and went to another adsl2+ service.
If you was to change isp at this stage i realy do not think any of them could offer you faster inless its virgin cable or fibre.
I hope this post don't come across as being funny as i am only trying to explain my understanding of how this stuff works and i hope you get things sorted.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Because the plusnet "Current Line Speed" is set far higher than the IP profile, the throughput measured by speedtest results etc. will be slightly higher than what it would be when the Plusnet current line speed gets set to match the IP profile.
Quote from: TORPC
uncapping of my upstream without it compromising the downstream, summing up what the CSC analyst stated earlier, take from downstream to add to upstream.

Uncapping the upstream does not take anything from the downstream. The available tones for the upstream and downstream remain the same whether the upstream is capped or uncapped. Uncapping the upstream is not the same as Annex M. Annex M does take from the downstream to add to the upstream.
Quote from: TORPC
and fixed interleaving would create more errored seconds as my line is to long to handle it

I don't think that makes any sense whatsoever. Why would interleaving "create more errored seconds", or why would your line be to long to handle interleaving, when your line is the same length as with your previous ISP which did use interleaving?
Just ignore the "max achievable speed" and "acceptable range of speeds" from the BT speedtester. The "max achievable speed" doesn't mean or imply anything, it doesn't mean your line has been capped to that speed, and the "acceptable range of speeds" is just BTWholesale having very low targets for acceptable throughput speeds, but everyone expects to get their full line speed all the time anyway.
thesawdust
Grafter

as EJS stated - IP Profile is set at 8.38mb this is the speed you'll get
Sadly your line is very long, my ADSL2+ line attenuation on bethere was 42.2DB and i could only get *9Mb* with a 9db SNR (with it being stable) without fastpath on too
You should be happy you've a stable internet  Roll_eyes
TORPC
Grafter

Thanks ejs & sawdust
Can anyone please explain
On the exact same

• Line

• 6dp Profile

• Router

• ADSL filtered faceplate

• Attenuation

• Ethernet Cable

• Laptop

• Browser

As already proved
With previous ISP I was getting over 10Mbps on a standard 6db Interleaved fixed profile
With PN I can not reach above 9Mbps on the 6dp Interleaved auto profile (Which my previous ISP never had / offer to the end user)
On the exact same

• Line

• 6dp Profile

• Router

• ADSL filtered faceplate

• Attenuation

• Ethernet Cable

• Laptop

• Browser

And why no-one seems to understand and or take it on board the difference
Why do big companies lie to get the sale(s) then don't give a monkeys cos you have above 5Mbps connection on ADSL2+ even after proving the line is more than capable of handling the speeds I as previously getting.
I have never lied to any of my clients as they are my bread & butter, I have never even bent the truth slightly to them either
Going to reboot the router to check sync rate since the change was done in the afternoon yesterday and would not of bee optimised sync
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@TORPC - I've had to skim back through the rest of this thread to find frequent references to "previous ISP" without you actually mentioning who it was, however, as I suspected, you appear to be saying you were with a LLU supplier. LLU suppliers with their own equipment in the exchange do not have the BT IP Profile system to contend with, and therefore can get a little higher throughput.
Kitz has an explanation (kind of) here. If you enter your downstream attenuation and click Calculate, you will see that the "BT 21CN WBC & ADSL2+" and "ADSL2+ LLU" throughput figures differ by a small amount.
If you haven't already had your upstream uncapped, I can happily recommend you go for it - the improvement in the "feel" of your connection will be noticeable.
gofaster
Rising Star

I am getting confused here by all the numbers being thrown around.
In the very first post TORPC says that he had a Sync rate of 9.537 and download speed of 9.100 with the previous ISP (TalkTalk LLU)
The latest Ookla speedtest in his signature shows a download speed of 9.73
It seems to me that 9.73 is faster than 9.10, so what exactly is the issue here?
Sure, the upload speed is lower but that is because of PNs stupid 448k upload cap - removing it is unlikely to decrease your download speed.
TORPC
Grafter

@Jaggies
I have not mentioned who my previous ISP is because it might spark unnecessary, remarks from those who have had issue(s) with them
Even BTOpenreach employees ridicule my previous ISP
I have used kitzcalc before and that is why I have made the statement the IMHO it is outdated & not as accurate as it maybe once was
Also read
Customer Controlled Signal to Noise Ratio (ccSNR) Reset Best Practice Guide: Issue 2 pdf
@gofaster
Who ever said I was with that ISP  Wink
The latest Ooakla speedtest in my signature is as clearly stated on the PN 3dp profile which my previous ISP never had / offered to the end user so was stuck with 6db Interleaved
Sure, the upload speed is lower but that is because of PNs stupid 448k upload cap - removing it is unlikely to decrease your download speed.

I was referring to the download speed that is slower the previous ISP the uncapping of the upstream was first mentioned by another member (scroll up to see who)  Wink
The upstream speed is about the same as I was getting from my previous ISP give or take the usual line fluctuations
and yes I would like to have it uncapped, however a CSC analyst refused to uncap the upstream as mentioned previously
Oh!!! and BTW & BIF to mention the different speeds are a reflection on the fluctuations on the line (with drops in speed overnight(no matter which ISP I go with)) as can bee see in a previous screenshot from the speedtest.net results page which shows I was getting 13Mbps (I have re-attached the screenshot , to save R.S.I on scrolling up Wink

I asked yesterday for the upstream to be uncapped via the dognbone and was refused by the CSC analyst as it would affect my Downstream (as mentioned in a previous post)

I have not rebooted the router as yet since I have been playing with my new NowTV box and will update info on the related thread later Wink
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, sorry to hear that - I've placed the uncap order for you, that'll complete on Monday. I'll also make sure to feed back to the agent you talked to...
TORPC
Grafter

Hi Matt and thank you very much
Can you also please put my profile on (Fixed Interleaved) at the time of the call it was on Interleaved auto and the agent told me it would create more errored seconds if set to fixed
He also said that BT wouldn't look at a fault as I was getting above the speeds estimate
If you are able to look at the[ ticket #78026806] you will see that a different Agent was concerned by the errored seconds, therefore can that be looked into please
The same agent also spoke to a manager who is allegedly looking into the mis-selling of your product (when I was told I would be getting better speeds than my previous ISP)
Can you please check & verify that is being done by a manager (sorry did not get the name)
A quick update since rebooting the router (albeit approx an hr later than normal time frame due to the NowTV Box being delivered and had to have a play)  Wink
Everything still appears to be stable
Getting similar errored seconds to the 6db profile
adslctl info --stats
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 444 Kbps, Downstream rate = 9608 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode:                  ADSL2+
Channel:                Fast
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):      3.3            16.2
Attn(dB):      48.5            26.4
Pwr(dBm):      20.8            12.2
Max(Kbps):      9636            21215
Rate (Kbps):    9608            444

Note to self:
Need to reboot router at optimised time 04/01/2014 (don't allow myself to get distracted)  Wink
If connection is still ok move SNR slider on DSLstats Advanced tab -10% from default and retest
thesawdust
Grafter

You should really let DLM take command on such a long line. Yes BT are right and not looking at it as fault, because clearly it isn't a fault. You are getting the estimated speed, i'm not quite sure why this topic is dragging on this far.........
Also, why not share previous provider?  Wink