Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spam, spam, spam, spam

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: spam, spam, spam, spam

Quote from: Strat

Currently the PN Spam solution is DSPAM which AFAIK does not block spam but marks the subject line.

Without Postini and Criticalpath there is a little blocking (but not as much as Postini blocks).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Moggy
Grafter

Sorry PN this ain't good enough, since 17.30 I have received over 25 crap e-mails. I have just decided (See earleir post) to opt into the new spam system BUT, we have been through this earleir in the year and it needs to be sorted. I'd like to think that I'm a long term loyal Force 9 customer but to keep changing systems for non techie people is not good enough, I expect to be able to log into my e-mails without having to keep opting in an out of trial products.
deekay
Grafter

Jelv.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I have spam detection switched on - just checked again.
It's been switched on since about last May.
Keith
Richard_261
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Have you opted in to the trial?

No.
For the simple reason that when I go to sign up for the trial, I am required to state that I have read and understood the conditions.
I have looked at the conditions and don't understand a ****ing word of them. Which is probably not surprising as I am a builder not a computer programmer.
However, should a member of Plus Net's staff wish to join me on site and help with my speedier bricklaying trials...
Bob_Milton
Grafter

With regard to Richard 261's comments, together with his plea for help. Is it not possible for a member of PlusNet staff who does speak ordinary English, contact him to help, or at least try to help him.
I know that the customers who respond do try to help, but they always seem to slip into jargon.
This is very confusing for people who are not privy to the somewhat confusing abbreviations and technical terms used.
How about a Happy New Years resolution on the part of everyone to keep their contributions simple and understandable???
Or is that too difficult?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

In direct face to face talks with someone who has asked me for help I can see instantly where they don't understand and modify my responses accordingly.
In situations like the forum that benefit does not exist and a delicate balance has to be attempted between condescension and confusion.
In other words without knowing whether the customer is knowledgeable or not the Customer Support person generally tends towards the latter in most cases.
Private individuals, lacking PlusNet training may not take the same line.
Personally I have had to look up terms and phrases used in the forums and I consider myself reasonably competent in matters IT related. Therefore I do sympathise with the views expressed.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Strat
Thanks for the understanding, you have pretty well got it in one.
Without wishing to be rude to anyone, it has been my experience over many years, (all together now-- poor old fella!), that someone who cannot explain something in plain terms without using jargon, is probably not completely sure of their knowledge. Or at least, they are not skilled enough to explain simply. Am I being condescending?

MJL

SPAM does appear to be a problem for me too, my mail server I mange at work has a stronger SPAM filter than Plus net's server seems to have?
Grin
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Don't forget that what may be jargon to one person may not be to another. Think in terms of explaining bricklaying to someone who didn't know what cement was. But if I asked someone how to lay bricks and they stared to explain what cement was I'd think they were being condescending. As strat said, in face to face conversation you can judge if the person is understanding what you are saying and adjust accordingly - in forums you can't do that.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Jelv
Have a look at the Postini Email Security Trial blog where we discussed this problem I have.
Oldjim has provided me with some useful information.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've just looked at the blog entry and there are no comments.
I'm guessing you meant the other topic in these forums, and yes, I've seen Oldjim's post. He's said pretty much I would have said once I knew that you didn't know what DNS was.
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: MJL
SPAM does appear to be a problem for me too, my mail server I mange at work has a stronger SPAM filter than Plus net's server seems to have? Grin

As has been said before in this forum.
Personal spam filtering can be more effective as it can be more specifically targeted.
An ISP's offering, by it's very nature cannot be so.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
stevef
Dabbler

Even so, two weeks ago only 10 spams or so got through each day, now that criticalpath is gone, I get 300 a day, and even Thunderbird's really basic spam filter catches most of them.  I've also noticed that several of the spams I've gotten even had viruses attached.  That concerns me even more.
I realize it was only a trial, but nothing has replaced it.  DSPAM is clearly not up to the job.

Quote from: MJL
SPAM does appear to be a problem for me too, my mail server I mange at work has a stronger SPAM filter than Plus net's server seems to have? Grin

As has been said before in this forum.
Personal spam filtering can be more effective as it can be more specifically targeted.
An ISP's offering, by it's very nature cannot be so.
Strat
Community Veteran

Hence the need for the Postini trial to prove successful and to be rolled out across the customer base quickly.
Edit: I am on the Postini trial and so far it has proved itself to me.
stevef
Dabbler

Hence the need for the Postini trial to prove successful and to be rolled out across the customer base quickly.
Edit: I am on the Postini trial and so far it has proved itself to me.

But why remove Criticalpath before the Postini trial ended?