cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spam, spam, spam, spam

stevef
Dabbler

spam, spam, spam, spam

Has anyone noticed an extraordinary amount of SPAM getting past the spam filters this week?  Has the free anti-spam been discontinued?  I've gotten about 200 today.  It's really annoying. 
Thunderbird catches about 95% of them, so shouldn't the industrial strength filter on the mail server be better?
82 REPLIES 82
puddy
Grafter

Re: spam, spam, spam, spam

I have over 300 spam messages in the last 3 days always come in batchs with the same name.  I am the postini trial.  But its worse now than before the trial

puddy
e-mail is hosted by/from plus.net
stevef
Dabbler

I'm glad (in a pathetic sort of way) that I'm not imagining this. 
I'm not in the trial, as far as I'm aware.
MrToast
Grafter

I think its just the prevailing conditions out there on the net at the moment.
stevef
Dabbler

Quote from: MrToast
I think its just the prevailing conditions out there on the net at the moment.

Since I posted my original message about a half hour ago, I've received 14 spams.  12 of them came through Plusnet (filtered) and 2 of them came through Free-online (unfiltered).  My free-online account is older and is usually almost all spam now, so I would expect more to come from that.
Be3G
Grafter

Yeah, I've had 45 untagged so far today which I think must be a record since I turned my catch-all off many moons ago. Was the Criticalpath thing every fully rolled out? IIRC it was supposed to be a couple of weeks ago but was then put on hold... if it was rolled out then it's doing a rubbish job; if it wasn't rolled out then when will it be so?
The_10th
Grafter

Getting SPAM too  Embarrassed
Richard_261
Grafter

I've had 190 by 9oclock this morning. Is this a record? Sadly no.
Shouldn't it be possible to prosecute some of these ****s (or at least beat the **** out of them with a pickaxe handle) Surely they can easily be tracked down when the spam contains a link to a website selling replica watches or some such useless ****.
I would like to volunteer to do the beatings.
deekay
Grafter

Over 350 spam messages yesterday. I noted the numbers all day, but gave up by early evening
Switched on this morning, another 280 spams waiting to be downloaded. Not had that many overnight before.
Sorry, Richard_261. You're not in the lead at the moment!!!
Keith

mikenagel
Dabbler

I, too, am getting large amounts of spam again - around 200 - 400 in any 24 hour period.

Since the last Plusnet spam disaster I have been assiduously forwarding spam to Plusnet's missed spam addy (spam@despamchecker.plus.com) as requested,but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Is this addy still in use? Are we still meant to be using it?
I'm very happy with Plusnet in every other respect but I'm very close to looking for an alternative ISP.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I think I read the Criticalpath things were being removed as the trial was over. I'm certainly seeing a lot more spam mail the last week or so.
Quote from: Be3G
Was the Criticalpath thing every fully rolled out? IIRC it was supposed to be a couple of weeks ago but was then put on hold... if it was rolled out then it's doing a rubbish job; if it wasn't rolled out then when will it be so?
stevef
Dabbler

This is the first time I've posted in the new discussion forum.  Does Plusnet actually monitor this or are we just commiserating?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

As previously explained elsewhere:
Quote from: Bob
For those that don't know, the trial we have been conducting with Critical Path was terminated today, 2 weeks behind the original intended date of closure.
The overall results of the trial have been positive.
Further details can be found in the planned maintenance post here.

the Critical Path boxes are no longer in front of the mail servers.
Trials of Postini are now in progress which from my experience is doing an excellent job of blocking emails from known spam sources. Why not sign up for the trial at http://trials.plus.net? Though it says 7-14 days for tickets to be answered the response should be far sooner than that.
Note that tagging of spam detected by Postini but not blocked on the edge is yet to be implemented.
David
Be3G
Grafter

Hmm, weird. I was under the impression that PlusNet intended to actually fully roll out Criticalpath a couple of weeks ago... I guess I must have lost the plot somewhere.
stevef
Dabbler

Does this mean also that there are no spam controls at present other than the trial?