cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spam closed for xmas?

puddy
Grafter

spam closed for xmas?

Been getting at least 100 to 200 spame-mails  per day xmas eve I only got 12!!!
So spammers must be closed for xmas?
Or
Post.ini trial finally working?
puddy
ps just hope their no boxing day offer of more spam
18 REPLIES 18
grahamv
Grafter

Re: spam closed for xmas?

Dunno.
Looks totally different here.
2 flagged spams in the spam box.
2 valid emails  in the inbox
About 100 spams in the inbox.
I was beginning to wonder whether spam checking had been switched off for Christmas.
But that mustn't stop us all having a Happy Christmas.
Especially the skeleton Plusnet crew - don't stay in a minute longer than you have to guys!
coastergrotto
Grafter

Still receiving it in my Inbox on Christmas Day.
puposet

I'm with puddy here, and I'm on the trial too.  Gone from over 50 a day to a handful since 21st Dec, and none of them been through Postini. 
Looks like the Postini trial has gone off at half cock and is dumping.
Trouble is I seem to be losing about half my incoming real mail as well.  Anyone else know they've lost anything?
Tim Jackson
deekay
Grafter

Not here it isn't!
The computer has been switched off for 24 hours, and this morning  there were 704 spam messages waiting for me.
I'm not in these Postrini trials, hoping that if/when I get put on this Postrini system, it will just 'work' and I won't have to be a qualified networking engineer to understand it, and to know what to do if there are any problems!
Keith

johnandrosie

For the past few days I've been getting more spam too. Can I do anything. Why don't plusnet improve thier filtering, the system we have at work is much more effective Cry
mikeb
Rising Star

Nope, you must either be lucky (or un-loved  Tongue ) if you're not getting a reasonable amount of chopped ham and pork to complement the cold turkey Grin Unfiltered spam appears to be pretty much at the expected level so far this week based on data to date.  There was a sharp increase last week and it doesn't seem likely there will be any significant reduction this week.

X-axis is weeks since the webmail compromise (13th May) and Week 32 was for last week up to and including Saturday 22nd December.  The RED line represents targeted spam to webmail compromised addresses and the BLUE line represents random and long-term spam.  Black lines are not particularly interesting and can be ignored.  Note that this is unfiltered data, all optional spam filtering is disabled.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
Sakky
Dabbler

For the last few weeks I been getting a bit of spam quite a bit, but logged on today and have my inbox filled with 20 or more of them  Cry ... its ridicules and annoying to be honest. No matter how many I mark as spam, I am still getting then thru  Angry  ... does the spam report marker even work honestly?  Undecided
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: deekay

I'm not in these Postrini trials, hoping that if/when I get put on this Postrini system, it will just 'work' and I won't have to be a qualified networking engineer to understand it, and to know what to do if there are any problems!

When you are switched over to Postini you don't have to make any changes at your end.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Sakky

No matter how many I mark as spam, I am still getting then thru  Angry  ... does the spam report marker even work honestly?  Undecided

You might find the (long) discussion on the Usergroup site about this interesting:
Training spam filter - any point?
My last contribution to the topic was:
Quote from: jelv1

To answer the question I posed in the first post of this topic: NO!
The results that DSPAM is giving now are so awful that I have just turned it of - I'm going to rely on Thunderbird's junk controls (with the added benefit that all spam identified as such gets moved to a single folder on my main mailbox for all the mailboxes - no more trawling through spam folders on multiple mailboxes). This will shortly be backed up by some rules to set the junk flag based on the Postini headers.

The way DSPAM works it will always take some time to respond to new spammers tricks; by the time it does they have moved on again.
I suspect early in the new year everybody will be moved over to Postini, spam tagging will be changed to use the Postini scoring and DSPAM will be turned off.
Loombucket
Grafter

I REALLY hope so - my account (that until recently had hardly any spam at all) has in the last few weeks suffered from a steadily increasing amount of very obvious spam getting past PN's spam filters.  The last couple of days have seen an exponential increase - it's almost as if all spam detection has been turned off.
What the [insert suitable expletive here] is going on?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The blue line in Mike's graph above shows what is going on - he has no filtering on the mailboxes he monitors for that line. What it shows is that in the last couple of months, the volumes of spam being pushed out have doubled.
puddy
Grafter

still only getting a couple a day
had been getting 300-400 per week so postini does work?
puddy
Sakky
Dabbler

What's this postini thing that keeps getting mentioned?  Huh
puddy
Grafter

Its beta/trial software plusnet are trying out to cut out the spam before it gets to the customers inbox.
You can ask to join the trial and you don't need to change any settings on your computer/laptop and its free.
With beta software its not perfect but give it a try and ask to join if you wish
puddy
[Moderator's note by Peter (PJ): Full quote of previous post removed as per the link:rules]