Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow speeds since moving to plusnet

James
Grafter

Re: slow speeds since moving to plusnet

Hi Farina,
I'm afraid that because I don't (officially) deal with tickets as part of my normal job, I'll only see them if I'm specifically asked to look, but I've had a look now Smiley
I've had a look at your pictures and the faceplate looks fine but it's the actual socket I'm more concerned by.
I'll drop you as ticket reply, but it looks like you might need to get someone out to sort out the phone socket itself.
As ever, you're more than welcome to call as I couldn't get through to your mobile.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Farina, this situation sounds like a bit of a pig's ear. If you post pictures here on the forum of the faceplate and the socket behind as well as any wiring connected to the faceplate then it may be possible to make some additional suggestions. (When you use the 'Reply' button - not 'quick reply' - you'll see the 'additional' options below the box where you can attach .jpg's etc.) The pictures need to be clear enough to show the colour of any wiring - otherwise a description to help.
It would also be useful if you posted the ADSL Line stats from the Modem/Router as suggested before.
farina
Grafter

As I've put in one of my million plusnet tickets, I don't know how to get my modem stats.
I'm still on the phone trying to get through to James... the 2 people I've spoken to don't seem to think they can put me through directly -.-
I'll post the pictures again when I'm back upstairs on my PC.
farina
Grafter

After being on hold for 20 minutes - transferred from Sales, to Tech Support, back to Sales to be told that James isn't in and that's why I'd been "lost in the telephone system", I suppose I won't have any resolution with this now for at least another week.
Here are some photos of what I have up at the moment.
Anotherone
Champion

Well done with those pics, it confirms that is an NTE2000 filtered face-plate (as supplied by BT). The connections look fine.
In case you are not aware, filters remove the ADSL signal from the "phone" socket, so you cannot plug another filter into the phone socket on the front of that plate and get an ADSL signal from the modem socket on the plugged-in filter. However as you have done, you can plug into the "test" socket which is unfiltered. The connections made to the back of that front plate (which go to the extensions) are also filtered so you cannot plug your modem into any of the extension sockets, but you don't need to plug filters in those sockets for phones etc (unless it happens to be a cordless that 'needs' to be double filtered -  a lot don't need to be).
This link will help you to get the ADSL line stats from most modem/routers http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php .
It looks as though you've already looked at the interface as you've been to the Config page. The 1st attached image should help you get the stats. Clicking on the 'view more' should give you the full stats. (The 'Bandwidth' up/down is the sync speeds by the way!).
As we don't know if the NTE2000 has gone faulty yet, it's best to stay plugged into the test socket for the time being (appreciate the inconvenience) and leave the modem/router on 24/7. When we've seen some stats we'll have a better idea.
I would also recommend turning off the Wireless for the time being (see 2nd pic - untick the box ringed in red) to be sure there isn't an interference issue causing problems. Connect you PC with ethernet only.
If I've understood the situation correctly, when you moved from your previous ISP you connected to PN with the supplied 585v7 modem/router. You've also tried a Belkin which you had, and are currently using a "test" router (585v7?) from PN?
(PS. considering the [little] info to date I would recommend  NOT going onto the ADS:L2+ trial until these problems are resolved - it has it's own problems and is unlikely in your case to give much improvement unless the stats indicate otherwise).
James
Grafter

Farina - I work from 9-5:30.
The last time you spoke to me, I stayed late at work until after 6 especially so you could speak to me.
@Chris - The picture of the faceplate itself appears to have a cable going in behind the test socket.  Is that normal?
Anotherone
Champion

Yes that looks quite normal, it's just that there seems to be plenty of spare length which perhaps confuses things.
James
Grafter

@Farina
You're in safe hands here.  Once you get back from your holiday you'll find lots of people who want to help (including myself).
Give us a shout once you get back.
farina
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Farina - I work from 9-5:30.
The last time you spoke to me, I stayed late at work until after 6 especially so you could speak to me.

I don't get home until after 6:30 at the earliest because of where I work.... I wasn't annoyed because you weren't in, I was annoyed because I'd been kept on hold for 20 minutes and effectively forgotten.
Regardless, I'll be back today. Thanks for the info Chris, I'll have a better read when I get back home and my brain can better absorb it!
Also: I've had the connections set as illustrated in my photos for nearly 2 weeks now and have noticed little difference - apart from I haven't seen speeds upwards of 1900(ish), and more drops (to even 300 a few days ago). I've tried two different wireless routers too...
farina
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
If I've understood the situation correctly, when you moved from your previous ISP you connected to PN with the supplied 585v7 modem/router. You've also tried a Belkin which you had, and are currently using a "test" router (585v7?) from PN?

Yes, that's correct - I'm currently using the Belkin router.
I couldn't find all the line stats listed on Kitz, such as the SNR etc., for my specific Belkin router (as it is a few years old) but I found that
Data Rate Down/Up 5920Kb/448Kb#
I've just done a speed test and it's at   1613 kbps (202kB/s) DL 224 kbps (28kB/s) UL
Argh! I'm at a total loss 0_o
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Farina,
well that sync speed is encouraging, but we need to get the other bits of the stats, Noise Margin, Attenuation before we can give informed comment. Which Belkin have you got? Also have a look at all the suggestions for all the Belkins on the Kitz site and see if you can find one that takes you to the right page. Try this one  http://192.168.2.1/ADSL_status_main.stm seems common to a few.
What we need to concentrate on is getting the sync (called Data rate on your Belkin, Bandwidth on the 585v7) stable without any drops to a low speed. Sync speed determines Profile ( http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm gives a lot of info), BT profile is then reflected in the member centre https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed upto 12hrs after any change in the BT profile. This profile as explained on the Kitz page will limit the maximum throughput speed you can achieve, along with exchange and network congestion that could occur at peak times.
You've probably had a low sync event at some point recently, see what the member centre is giving for your current profile (don't post any phone number from that page if present), that may account for the poor throughput speed. If you've had a low sync event, you need to leave the modem/router on 24/7 at the higher rate, for the profile to recover in the quickest possible time. That said, if there is lightening about and noise margin (or power) is dipping and causing a resync (usually at a slower speed) best to power down and wait until it's cleared up. Too many resyncs or persistently high error rates will cause the exchange DLM to raise the Target Margin (SNRM) which will result in slower sync speed.
farina
Grafter

I've tried the different belkin pages, such as the status page, but none appear to work on my router (not sure what make it is at the moment - will check, but it is pretty old).
From the member centre....
Estimated line speed:
    3.5 Mbps - Checked on 2009-04-08 20:40:00
Current line speed:
I'm a little confused - the current line speed is obviously why I'm having trouble - how is this calculated? Is this from BT? Or from plusnet? how can i get it to update?
andyfuk
Dabbler

Unfortunately it's a case of sitting and waiting, as Anotherone said in their post, the router needs to be left on 24/7. It might take up to three days to recover.
I messed my profile up: I moved to plusnet and was happy for the first day. Then my new router arrived and because I was messing around and didn't know what I was doing, (turning it on/ off trying different things etc), my speed dropped to about a meg. Then I carried on doing this to try to solve the problem not knowing I was making it worse.
Then I came on here, learnt a lot of new things, left the router alone and after two or so days, speed went back up to 4.5meg, and now 6.
So sit tight and don't do anything for a while to the router!
Andy
farina
Grafter

it's been on since wed without any resets, as far as i know 😕
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

can you run a speedtest here  http://speedtester.bt.com/ to get your profile and see if it matches your PN one, which is 2000.
If they don't match you could have a stuck profile and need someone to give it a poke.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'