Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow speeds and web pages hanging frequently

Kati
Grafter

slow speeds and web pages hanging frequently

Hi,
For the past week I have noticed a deterioration in my broadband connection. Web pages are very slow to load, often the status bar just stops midway and hangs there unmoving. I have disconnected and reconnected my netgearDG834v router and it made no difference. Just used the BT wholesale broadband performance tester and I get the floowing result:
Download 0.61
Upload 0.36
Ping Latency 41.13
I have to say this means nothing to me.
Please help/advise as it is very frustrating!
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Kati
Grafter

Connection dropping off every few minutes

Yesterday afternoon I wrote that my BB was slow and pages are hanging but I got no response from Plusnet. This morning my connection keeps cutting out altogether. What is going on? Not only that but my fees for BB and line rental have suddenly shot up with no warning. What do I have to do to get a response from Plusnet?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: slow speeds and web pages hanging frequently

Hi Kati,
I've just taken a look at your connection and I can see that the line is erroring which is the likely cause for the problems you're seeing. Can you please visit http://faults.plus.net and follow the instructions and complete the checker and our Faults Team will take a look at the issue for you.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Connection dropping off every few minutes

I've responded to your other thread at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,127879.0.html - we try our best to get back to you as quickly as we can, but please try and keep everything in one place.
I've responded to your billing ticket regarding Line Rental Saver and billing.
Kati
Grafter

I have been through the troubleshooting questions and quite frankly they are very unhelpful. Since my drop outs are intermittent it is obvious that i am connected while following the test procedures so have to answer 'yes' when asked if my connection works when I do this or that. There is no option to add additional information so at the end of the tests it is assumed that my problem has been fixed and the case is closed. This does not take into account that I will get intermittent drop offs afterwards.
Yesterday i reported slow connections and hanging pages which has been going on for more than a week. Today the drop offs started and have been every few minutes between 9 am and 10 am. I have no idea if they may start again or when or how often. By saying the problem is resolved at the end of the test process does not mean that this is the case.
While I have a connection, everything works as it should apart from slow page loading and hanging web pages so the test process I have just been through is irrelevant to my problem.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Mod Note
Topics merged.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Kati,
The checks and tests we ask you to go through in the troubleshooter are designed to eliminate any possibility that the problem is on your side (from the master socket to the computer) as the wholesaler only looks after the line from the exchange up to the socket. In some instances there can be charges for an engineer call-out if the fault is found to be within the customers home so these tests will help us make sure this isn't the case.
The way you describe the issues seems to point to an intermittent fault which we will need to raise with the wholesaler and have investigated. From checking your account it looks as though you've been through the troubleshooter and this has raised a ticket to us on your account which will be updated once the tests are complete and we have results back in around 48 hours.
Once we have this information back from the wholesaler we should then be able to see the if this is something we can advise on fixing or if this will require an engineer to visit your exchange or home.
To keep a track on the fault you can see all the details on question 86597658 on the member centre which will update as the testing progresses. In addition to this I have also provided you with an update on question 86595599 regarding the billing query you raised.
Thanks,
Adam C
Kati
Grafter

Thank you Adam C. I will hold off renewing my annual line rental until I see if things improve in the next 48 hours.