cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow speed

dermydoc

slow speed

hi, i recently experienced problems with my connection dropping, after a visit from and engineer i was told on the phone today that my connection has stabalized and that the guy would remove the banding on our speed, i was told to give it four hours max but realistically about 10 minutes. after four hours and numerous turning on and off of my router i called back to enquire and was told that the original snr reset did not go through correctly. this advisor assured me that he has put the new order directly to bt and would take no more than two hours, 2 hours later i called back to be told that the latest advisor would solve the problem but still no joy, starting to get very annoyed and was wondering if anyone on here could help me more than the advisors on the phone?
my stats: (my bandwith has been the same for 3 weeks)
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:05:24
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 19,384
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 1,150
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2.86 / 1.66
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.0 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 20.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 23.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
2 REPLIES 2
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: slow speed

Quote from: dermydoc
.............and numerous turning on and off of my router ........

That is the quickest way to get banded again, or your Target Noise Margin raised, both with the same effect - speed restricted to try and stabilise the connection. It could be the reason why the reset didn't get through. Multiple reboot/resyncs in a short period of time are interpreted as a dropping connection. Apart from which, you don't need to do a thing, a resync will happen automatically when the line is reset.
In future, Whenever you need to reboot/resync or swap anything - use this Disconnect method -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on. On the Thomson modem/routers you will typically find it in the box marked Internet as shown here.
Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  
Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection (or a worse one than you may have).
Also note, you can use the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
This is where you can effectively change the "channel" that you are connected to at the Plusnet end and doesn't cause a resync with the exchange. There maybe all sorts of reasons you may want to do this from download speed issues to pages not loading, lots of lag, etc.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: slow speed

@dermydoc
I've just requested an SNR reset and the removal of banding for you. So, fingers crossed you should see some improvement tomorrow.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team