Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow speed

diddydo75
Grafter

slow speed

Hi,
i usually turn my router off when I do not use it as before moving to plusnet I was on an LLU so always got my half meg (I live a long way from my exchange,  :-[) Anyway i am aware that turning it off regularly can make BT/Plusnet thinking im getting disconnects and thus reduce my speed, so i have left it on for the last 3 days but my download speed is still terrible, less than half a meg infact!
Could someone at plusnet take a look, i'm not expecting miracles i reckon somewhere near half a meg is not to mush to ask, you did manage it when I first signed up.
Cheers and all the best
Did
13 REPLIES 13
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: slow speed

Hi there,
I've checked your account and have runs some diagnostics. It looks like a speed profile of 135kbps is still in place due to the previous disconnections/router being powered off.
I'm going to perform an SNR reset which should resolve this within a couple of hours for you all being well.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Just to add to the above, you're fine to disconnect the router at night - just drop the connection via the router's interface before you power it down and it won't be seen as a forced disconnect by the exchange.
Hope that helps,
diddydo75
Grafter

Hi Adam/Matt,
Thanks for the replies, speed is at 232kbps so a slight increase.
Regarding dropping the connection via the routers interface I have a Netgear DG834G and I can login to it and then seem to be able to disconnect it via a connection status button, I have just done this at 01:25 ish, did this show as a forced disconnect?
Many thanks
Did
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think that should show as 'disconnected at user request' at the Plusnet end. You are still synced with the exchange but it is assumed that as there isn't an ongoing PPP connection to Plusnet the DLM will take switching off the router as intentional and not a drop.
David
diddydo75
Grafter

Still only getting 232 kbps, and browsing the net is like wading through mud a lot of the time Sad
Cheers
Did
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi diddydo75,
I've just tried ringing you so I could ask you a few questions about your connection. Your profile has not been above 350 since you started but I would have expected better. Let me know when you're available.
Jojo Smiley
diddydo75
Grafter

Hi jojo,
Sorry I'm at work during the day and available until 7pm but have most Fridays off if that helps?
Many thanks
Did
diddydo75
Grafter

Oh no i see from the ticket i raised #44997895 that you guys have been doing checks on the line, my router has been switched off so I think that might be an issue regarding your tests. I'm going to leave it on from now for a few more days.
also my router shows that im connected at a faster speed than i am actually getting, im still getting 232 kbps.
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 421 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 439 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38
Thanks
Did
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi diddydo75,
Your current sync rate is 421k, this will bring your profile back up to 350k, but that can take 72 hours or so. I'll give you a call on Friday and we can take it from there. Give me a nudge though and let me know when it's convenient.
Jojo Smiley
diddydo75
Grafter

well its up to 280k this morning so its on its way up! our area should get fibre in September so I might upgrade then.
Many thanks
did
diddydo75
Grafter

I had to post this...........it seems my phone line is 18.5 km long. My exchange should be in bedford and I live in a village about three miles from there, what has happened to make my phone line that long?!
Seems I'm lucky to get any speed at all.
Did
Copper Line Test
Circuit ID: CBUK82231447 Service ID: BBEU02685766
Telephone NO.: N.A. Test Executed On:
Test Outcome: Line Test OK - End User Equipment detected
Copper Test Details
A to E B to E
Capacitance: 363 NanoFarad 372 NanoFarad
DP Line Length Estimate: 18496 Metres DN Line Length Estimate: 18579 Metres
Celerity: 72.9 dB Line Loss:
Fault Report Advised: N
Service Level: 2

Extremely long line, suprised this line can support broadband at all.
matt_2k34
Grafter

63db *was* the maximum for ADSL a few years ago (most routers would report 63.0 or 63.5, even when the attenuation is higher)
That attenuation is rancid though, which explains the 0.5meg.
When we first got BB, it was 512K and you had to be within 5km of the exchange for it. my line (all copper) was 4.80km. BT provided us with service, when we migrated to plusnet they cut us off, and said our line was "not fit for broadband" (sour grapes at losing a customer i feel 😉 )
it seems my phone line is 18.5 km long.

I would suggest that this is a false reading tbh, quite possible because its so long its messing up the result.
Regards
diddydo75
Grafter

Well I just ran a speed test and its up to 328k, many thanks for the help guys  Smiley
Best wishes
did