cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow speed

p12
Hooked

slow speed

Advertised plusnet speed for my service is 17mbs. Been very slow for ages - just measured it at 8mbs. Surely this breaches some kind of Advertising standards?  Looks like I will have to get BB elsewhere. Very disappointed in PN.

10 REPLIES 10
geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: slow speed

Adsl   is up to 17mb so I doesn't mean it is going to work at 17mbps that's just the maximum speed, please go to the BT dsl checker here and see what the estimated speed is for your line if your speed is within the estimate shown on the site you're broadband is performing at the expected level.

Hope this helps,

James 

p12
Hooked

Thanks James, I was aware of that, but unfortunately it does not deal with my point that a provider should not be able to advertise the maximum speed when clearly from the multiple posts even on this forum Plusnet and many other providers get no where near that. It must be for the regulators to stop providers misleading consumers. At least state in as big a way as the top speed - the real speed many customers actually get. I thought that's what the advertising standards people were supposed to be doing as well. Maybe customers who feel this way should write to both regulator and ASA and maybe representatives at Parliament and maybe something will be done. I checked my speed thanks (but not with BT speed checkers). Why them? They are certainly no more reliable. And no it is not my computer or router. All checked over many months. Barely getting 8mbps - Plusnet shouldnot be advertising 17mbps. My point stands.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@p12 if it wasn't for the regulators the package you are on would be advertised as up to 24Mbps!

geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

To be honest it's not really misleading yes it advertises the top speed to be 17mbps but when you actually sign up it gives you a speed estimate for your line that is usually accurate so I don't see personally how this is misleading as they give you a revised speed for your line when signing up.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We don't advertise 17Mb/s, we advertise *up to* 17Mb/s and then provide you with a more detailed estimate during your signup which include a range of speeds you can expect to see on your line. These estimates can change through the life of your service and currently stand at 5 to 14Mb/s for your line.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
p12
Hooked

No, do not recall getting any such lower range warning so I could cancel. Clearly 8 mbps is much lower than headline 17. I think my point stands that if the advertised speed (large print - advertised in many media) is stated to be 17mbps then to later say this may not be the actual speed is playing with the criteria involved with the Advertising standards which is basically adverts have to honest and not misleading. I think this falls into this category. I am aware  that most providers do the same but that does not make it any better (in fact makes it worse). Especially as Plusnet try to differentiate themselves by indicating the public can trust them. Maybe a referral to the ASA would be correct here. At least they should state in equally bold letters on the original advert that the speed is only indicative and mmay weel be a lot less. Also it would be good if Plusnet and the rest were obliged to publish each year how many customers actually achieve these advertised speeds. Very worrying that the regulators and ASA are not picking up on this.

Chris
Legend

The up to 17Mb/s is advertised as that's based on at least 10% of customers receiving these speeds (IIRC) and that's based on the advertising guidelines for ADSL.

On our website it says:

• Up to 17Mb Estimated download speed

And in the 'here's the legal bit' that's expanded on:

Broadband

Broadband speed: We'll give you the best download speed available (up to 17Mb if you live in a high speed area) dependent on your location, phone line, home wiring and time of day. Because of these factors your speed may be higher or lower than up to 17Mb. We'll provide you with a speed estimate when you check availability of our products. Find out why speeds vary.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
p12
Hooked

10 per cent is very low and below what most people would expect before a claim that 17 MBps is headlined as an advert. Maybe that is a question ASA would like to take up. Also I repeat that equal prominence in the original advert would be seen as fair when saying 17 is a maximum speed and many will experience less. putting this in a secondary communication or in very small print is not really honest (although it is currently legal).

Chris
Legend

17 isn't the maximum speed though, there are customers that can achieve more than that too.

p12
Hooked

Just noticed that Advertising Standards Authority are bringing in stronger regulations in october to stop BB providers misleading customers on pricing adverts. Maybe at the same time they could also look at advertised speeds and how they measure up to reality?