jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: slow internet speed

Fingers crossed for ya Smiley
robjodi1985
Grafter

plusnet team can you raise a ticket,i got hissing and cracklin on line its also affected my broadband speed iv gone from 5meg to http://www.speedtest.net/result/863139562.png ; i feel like im back to square one,ive done all check etc Undecided
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've just done a line test and it's showing as all sockets unplugged - is there a phone plugged in at the moment? I would assume so, and if there is then that result confirms the fault in which case I can get it raised for you.
robjodi1985
Grafter

hi yes router and phone plugged in nothing changed still noise on line,raise fault and look into this thanks
robjodi1985
Grafter

well guys ant been on here for a while been really ill,this is my last post..ive been with plusnet for nearly 8 weeks now fed up with all problems broadband speed etc..still getting slow snail speeds havent changed http://www.speedtest.net/result/891544622.png ; all i can say is if you've got speed and connection problems from the start then jump ship as soon as u can dont take any nonsense from these so called award winners,customer service what a joke just give u alot of bull,i finally got my mac and i switch supplier from monday to opal bussiness broadband im not bothered about paying extra for fast reliable broadband,they've guaranteed me if my speed drops below 10meg i dont pay anything for the month fair deal i say Grin thats a service i want,im currently receiving 0.28mbs opal told me my line can handle 14.9meg so i have a question for plusnet team,why am i only getting under 1meg and im paying for your top package,i get faster speed with mobile broadband dongle,lol what a joke i mentioned it at work n everyone laughed,opal have there own kit in exchange so im hoping faster speeds just warry now having had bad experience with plusnet..another thing is plusnet home phone service whats the point in having
£50 credit limit its a joke its up to me how many calls i make,i can spend that in a week. bye guys thanks for reading my thread dont let these guys take u for mugs.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

for starters, you are on a plain line, OPAL are on LLU, it trying to compare chalk with cheese  - you cant
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Hang on pierre_pierre.  If you have speed problems it makes no sense to switch to another 'plain line' ISP.  Unless your problem was with the router (and your new ISP gives you a new one) then you will be in exactly the same boat and quite possibly dealing with an inferior Customer Service department to Plusnet's.  Jumping ship to a LUU provider makes some kind of sense.  The only problem is that if the source of robjodi1985's hissing and crackling is not the line card at the BT exchange then it's unlikely to work and he/she will have just switched the problem to the new ISP.  As I reported on another thread, I developed hissing and crackling on my line and it ruined my broadband speed until it was fixed.  It turned out to be a bad connection just in front of my house.  Fortunately it got so bad I lost dial tone, so the fault was easy to find when the BT engineer finally arrived.     
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the OP had a fault, the last report was on 30 June, I dont think that nothing has happened since then, their story is most odd.  I was just saying that he cant compare 0.24M on the PN line with a suggestion that he might get 14.9 on Opal LLU - what if it is a fault between him and the ~Exchange?  he wont get it
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Yes, it very probably is a fault between him and the exchange.  Under the Opal guarantee it seems he will get free broadband until Opal sort it out.  However, unless he also pays Opal for the voice line, Opal might have some get-out in the small print about voice line faults.   
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm sorry that we weren't able to get this sorted for you but as you've placed the order to move away we can't even run diagnostics.
Please let us know how it goes with Opal so we all learn something from this.
robjodi1985
Grafter

hi guys i know i said last post etc,im due to switch supplier any time soon the weird thing is my speed has jumped to 10meg and ran speedtest and it still shows plusnet as my provider,like i say opal due to take over sometime today had new router delivered this morning not set it up yet,just watched the speed jump from 0.18 to 10.8mbs really strange could be switching over or doing tests,phoned plusnet and they told me phone line profile is 1000 so impossible to get that speed,things r looking up..also just want to mention about posts ive had several engineer visits they checked all external wiring,green box.i live like 400 meter from exchange engineers could not find any faults,i shouldnt after change provider for faster speed llu or non llu,the speed i received from plusnet is poor i also want to say im not experiencin any noise on line its clear,im moving phone line aswell might aswell have 1 bill together,just been watchin youtube videos for first time in 2 months yay how sad is that lol.

r.c.c.h
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

If your provider had already switched to Opal then your Plusnet user name and password would be rejected when your router tries to establish the connection.  So, too late for Plusnet, you have suddenly got a decent broadband connection.
I'm sure there will be a correlation between noise on the phone line and poor speed of broadband.  When I had a bad line last week (due to a bad contact) the connection was variable between a bit of noise and no dial tone.  The better the audible connection, the faster my broadband.
Now that you can watch You Tube again, my favourite at the moment is this one,
, a parody that is better than the original!       
robjodi1985
Grafter

hi reedrichard thanks for vid,the switch has happened im on opal llu bussiness broadband,ive done a speed test 6am and i was getting just over 8meg been told that i have to leave it 10 days to stabilise and the speed will pick up got nothing to lose coz if i drop under 10meg then i get free broadand lol,yesterdays speed had nothing to do with plusnet,im using my own belkin router i have certain loggin info,ive only had decent speed once with plusnet and that was weeks ago,i understand that llu is completely different and is capable of faster speed but surely plusnet has broke its terms and conditions i shouldnt of had to put up with poor speed for such a long period looking at other posts alot of other users having speed issues if your problem aint fixed within 3 weeks then consider moving to llu supplier it worked for me,if you live in cable area (lucky sod) get cable broadband fibre optic better then copper line..i raised ticket after ticket and sometimes it would take a week for reply also phoned plusnet time after time they would say doing test on the line,how many tests can you do in 8 weeks come on!! whats wrong with picking up the phone and ringing me and admit that your useless and you dont know what the problem is,also plusnet if you think im paying disconnection fee you've got another thing coming im going to contact ofcom to see where i stand on this.when i signed up i was promised speed much higher then this.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Whatever make of router you use, it has a login and a password.  If the login name is something@plusdsl.net and it works (ie you have an internet connection) then Plusnet is your ISP.  There is no ambiguity about it, you may be in the process of switching ISPs but as long as your old Plusnet user name logs you in then you are with Plusnet.  
Plusnet are actually part of BT but they have been allowed to maintain their own identity to provide a low-end, low-cost alternative to the standard BT Broadband offering.  Despite this, they are not able to gain any leverage from being part of BT so, for example, they cannot get a BT Openreach engineer to simultaneously address a voice line fault and a broadband fault.  The point I made earlier was that if you are unhappy with your Plusnet broadband speed then the worst thing you can do is switch to another non-LUU ISP.  With an LUU ISP you are less beholden to BT and with Virgin cable you are not-at-all beholden to BT.
Personally, I'm very happy with my Plusnet service, which as just as well because I don't have a LUU or cable alternative.  
robjodi1985
Grafter

i dont know whats happening now,opal said they took over broadband yesterday but ive ran a speedtest and it shows orange as my provider http://www.speedtest.net/result/894528705.png my speed has greatly improved and well happy after experience i had with plusnet,anyone got any ideas? iv rung orange and iv got no account with them..just scratching my head lol

another http://www.speedtest.net/result/894544800.png