cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow.disconnect..slow.disconnect..engineer..slow disconnect. you get the pic.

help
Dabbler

Re: slow.disconnect..slow.disconnect..engineer..slow disconnect. you get the pic.

In response to you Chris, I use wireless from router to PC although it is a matter of a few feet away in the same room. Always shows very good on connection (until it drops  :)).
Townman. Thanks for such a detailed response. I think i understand some of your points but am taking that at the moment I should just wait and try and provide as much data to you guys as poss so you can do the detective work to identify a clear leader for the reason of the drop outs. re-sync speeds and noise on the line etc. I would say I leave the router on all the time as recommended and I have rarely had to turn off/on to reset after a drop out so any drops you see on the data is purely the router not me. Let me know what I need to next to help. Shall I get routerstats lite set up and send over data?
P
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: slow.disconnect..slow.disconnect..engineer..slow disconnect. you get the pic.

It would be worth trying a wired connection to see if there's any difference first.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

A wired connection speed test will give a different view of usable data transfer speed, but will make no difference to raw synch speed.
Given the high value of the SNRM in your last stats post, I'd be looking at monitoring this closely.  You can never have too many stats - SNRM graphs provide a better picture than random adhoc spot router stats.  Router Stats Lite s a good starting pont, but if you feel up to a bit of fiddling, the full router stats tool s very useful with the tg582n router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

help
Dabbler

wilco.
running routerlite now. will send some graphs in a day or 2 having let it run.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I'd recommend setting the capture details to 720 points per graph at 10 second intervals.  That will give you 12 graphs per 24 hours and will identify short duration noise spikes.
Set the gaps to 'scheduled' capture.  Need any further help, just shout!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

help
Dabbler

So i have 24hrs (12 graphs) for both speed and noise router stats. How do I get them to you guys?
To be honest they show nothing. One drop out which reconnected itself within minutes. One computer going to sleep and the rest low level noise variations and top speed.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Help,
For starters juts post 4 of them on here - around midnight, dawn, midday and dusk.  This will show what the dusk / dawn transition SNRM looks like and the extremes of midday and midnight.  Also any period where the SNRM is jittery.  Some 'spot' router stats would be useful too.
It would be helpful if you can set the option to plot DS speed on the DS margin graph.  That way we only need to see one graph.
For illustration I've attached one of my graphs from yesterday.  It shows a reconnect (slight increase in speed), the gradual decrease in SNRM due to approach dusk and periodic spike REIN.  My REIN comes from passing WCML trains - so long as the spike is less than my SNRM all is OK (ish!).

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
Interesting, but boring graphs!!  They show no discernible noise, which is great - nice flat lines (boring) ... however what happened at 16:20?  There was a step increase in SNRM, but no change in synch speed.  Was there a disconnect and resynch AT THE SAME SPPED (which might imply banding) or was something somewhere switched off thereby reducing noise?  These graphs do not point to a discernible problem other than the step shift.
Are there other graphs / times also showing a 3+dB step shift in SNRM?  A radius graph (from PN) would be useful to confirm PPP session disconnects / reconnects.
Cheers,
Kevin

help
Dabbler

Hi Kevin, at 16.40 nothing turned off so it must have been a drop and then reconnect by the router.
However I have graphs that show a drop and reconnect when I was upfront of the pc and they show a distinct drop to zero for both speed and
noise and then picks it back up at same levels for both after
taking a minute to reconnect.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It all depends on how quick the resynch is.  I have seen router stats graphs transition from one SNRM/synch to another without going via zero.
Have you seen daytime SNRM as high as 19dB recently?  How are things after the SNRM reset?  Are speeds back where they were and consistent?
I suggest that you wait for a nice dry bright day, check your stats (hopefully you'll be above 6dB) and do a controlled resynch - annually disconnect the PPP session via the router, wait a few mins, power down the router.  Get a coffee an hen start up again.  Hopefully you should see a higher synch at 6dB.  Monitor from there and let's see where it goes.
Kevin

help
Dabbler

Hi Kevin,
Line has become unstable again. (but sorry have no routerstat graphs for you).
I had a couple of definate and pronounced drop outs on 19th between 18.30 and 19.30.
Yesterday (21st) Line was unstable. At least 5 dropouts a resets. A couple of resets the router couldn't do itself so I hit the on/off switch which seemed to help it resync.
This morning it is dropping out again.
I started routerstats up and it is showing 12db on noise and downstream is down to around 6000kbps from 12000kbps previously. So it looks like the exchange is starting to kick me down on line speed again.
From experience it only gets worse from here with disconnects becoming more frequent the speed will keep getting dropped down until it's unusable.
Solutions on a chip board please.
P
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: help
I started routerstats up and it is showing 12db on noise and downstream is down to around 6000kbps from 12000kbps previously. So it looks like the exchange is starting to kick me down on line speed again.

I would suggest that this is more like you resynch'd whilst there was noise o the line at the best possible speed.  Now there is less noise, you SNRM has risen substantially.  I suggest a resynch during daylight hors, keep router stats running all of the time and instigate PN's BB fault diagnostics through the portal. Have a read of this faults guide and then riase a fault report through the automated process.
HTH.
Kevin

help
Dabbler

Hi,
Will raise a PN fault report. In the meantime take a look at the routerstats graphs so far today...
I did a proper reset after the first drop as suggested in daylight hours. Hasn't improved stability.
As an aside you said to plot noise and speed on one graph. Where is the tick box for this on routerstats lite please?
P
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: help
Where is the tick box for this on routerstats lite please?

P,
I believe this option is available on RouterStats Lite.  
I'm using the full version, in which if you right click the Rx (DS) noise (SNRM) graph, there is an option to overlay the Rx Synch Speed.
HTH,
Kevin