Telecom_Green
Dabbler

Re: slow broadband

You're welcome! Good news!

ibrox40
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Well not fixed after all, it was working yesterday but today back to no line and slow BB, now they want to send an engineer out costing £65 for something that was meant to be an external problem....... not good.

Telecom_Green
Dabbler

They should not be charging you if the fault is clearly upstream of the NTE5 (master socket). 

The whole point of a master socket is that, once the front cover is off, and you've connected to their line, independent of anything on your premises, any faults are the responsibility of your ISP or Openreach.

Is there no dial tone?  If so, it's certainly their problem.

I think it's standard procedure to warn customers of the £65.00, just in case they have fiddled with something upstream of the master socket (run your own extension clagged onto the cable in the box outside - yes, I have seen it done) 🙂

Rob

ibrox40
Dabbler

Again thank you for the feedback, no I haven't tampered with anything.

Weird it came back on yesterday, I just assumed it had been fixed.

ibrox40
Dabbler

Yes no dial tone

Telecom_Green
Dabbler

Most certainly their problem.  A broken "leg" of the supply to your premises.  You need two legs (to make a circuit) to get a tone. However, broadband can just about work on one.  

You shouldn't have to pay for a repair.

ibrox40
Dabbler

The engineer left a note saying "the line is testing ok at the pole behind your property Access is required to test further"

Telecom_Green
Dabbler

He probably needs to get into your property to test from the NTE5 back to the exchange.

Was there a "failed visit" involved here somewhere? He booked to come but couldn't get in?

ibrox40
Dabbler

He was booked but I was told he never needed access so I wasn't in.

The test showed it was external so access wasn't required.

Telecom_Green
Dabbler

Just make sure that they don't try and turn this into an "unable to gain access" charge.  It has been known.

ibrox40
Dabbler

thanks again, I have the email transcript saying access wasn't necessary, so they can't do that.

Still they might charge for Mondays callout though, even though they shouldn't.

ibrox40
Dabbler

Well this morning the phone line started working again however bb speed is still only 1mb.

OR engineer came came out changed the master socket but so far bb still 1mb............

Should add the phone line came back on its own before the engineer done anything.

Pretty strange

bin
Aspiring Pro

@ibrox40 wrote:

Should add the phone line came back on its own before the engineer done anything.

Pretty strange

He probably called in at the exchange and reseated the connection/removed the spiders or whatever.

Still, it's progress.

Telecom_Green
Dabbler

Hah!  This happens quite a lot.  But no-one will admit a deliberate fix, as this would reveal that something was actually wrong.

ibrox40
Dabbler

Thing is my BB is still 1mb nothing the engineer done has mad a difference, when I mentioned the BB speed all he said well its ADSL not fibre, thats no reason for a drop from 12mb to 1mb